Potential drop across capacitor after very long time

In summary: I didn't recognize that.In summary, the potential drop across the 15.0-mH inductor just after closing the switch is 150V and the potential drop across the 70.0-µF capacitor after the switch has been closed for a very long time is also 150V. This is because all three branches in the circuit are in parallel, resulting in the same voltage drop across each branch.
Les talons

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown in the figure, the switch has been open for a very long time.
p24.44.jpg

(a) What is the potential drop across the 15.0-mH inductor just after closing the switch?
(b) What is the potential drop across the 70.0-µF capacitor after the switch has been closed for a very long time?

Homework Equations

I = V/R (1 -e-Rt/L)
V = IR = Q/C

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I replaced the capacitors with wires at t=0 and found the current in the outer loop from V = IR
200V = 100ohm *I
I = 2A
Then the resistance through the loop with the inductor is 75ohm, so
V = 2A *75ohm = 150V

(b) I replaced the inductors with wires from the limit at t=infinity of the equation for current through the inductor and the capacitors with an open circuit, so there is no current through the capacitors, and the current through the middle loop is
200V = I *75ohm
I = 2.6... A
I'm confused if there is no current through the loop with the 70-µF capacitor, what resistance is used to find the voltage? The voltage is not 0 or 200V (the battery supply). I also know the three branches are technically in parallel.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there's no current in the branch with the 70 μF capacitor, that means the potential drop across its series resistor is what?

For the 38ohm resistor, would it have 200V? I thought the capacitor would act like an open switch after a very long time, so I am confused how there can be any potential drop if the circuit is broken there.

Les talons said:
For the 38ohm resistor, would it have 200V?
Nope. What does Ohm's law tell you about the potential drop across a resistor with zero current flowing through it?
I thought the capacitor would act like an open switch after a very long time, so I am confused how there can be any potential drop if the circuit is broken there.
Sure it'll look like an open switch (open circuit). That doesn't mean there can't be a potential difference between either side of the "switch".

gneill said:
Nope. What does Ohm's law tell you about the potential drop across a resistor with zero current flowing through it?

Sure it'll look like an open switch (open circuit). That doesn't mean there can't be a potential difference between either side of the "switch".

Ah, so since V = IR, and I is 0, then there must be 0V across the 38ohm resistor.
Is that because the electrical potential difference is defined between two points, regardless of a circuit between those points?

Les talons said:
Ah, so since V = IR, and I is 0, then there must be 0V across the 38ohm resistor.
Is that because the electrical potential difference is defined between two points, regardless of a circuit between those points?
Yes and yes.

Okay, but - I am still not sure how this helps find the voltage drop across the capacitor. It is not 0V, or 200V. Will the battery voltage be shared equally in each branch, because the three branches are in parallel?

Les talons said:
Okay, but - I am still not sure how this helps find the voltage drop across the capacitor. It is not 0V, or 200V. Will the battery voltage be shared equally in each branch, because the three branches are in parallel?
Redraw the circuit replacing the inductors with wires and the capacitors with open circuits. Trim off the branch with the 75 Ohm resistor since no current can flow there and there's no potential of interest there:

Fig1.gif

The open terminals a -- b are where the capacitor of interest is located. According to your prior arguments, terminal a has the same potential as A, b the same as B.

Likes Les talons
At point A, assuming ideal wires, the potential is 200V, the battery. Then I found the current through the middle loop as 2.6... A, so the voltage before the 25ohm resistor is this current times the 50ohm resistor, and there is 0V through the 38ohm resistor. So then I just need to subtract these values for the potential drop?

Simpler than that even. The potential from A to B is identical to the potential across the 50 Ohm resistor.

Oh, keep a few extra decimal places in intermediate calculations. You wouldn't want rounding errors to creep into the significant figures of your results. In particular, keep a few more decimal places in your current value.

Ah, so since the branches are in parallel, they would have the same voltage drop? Also, I tried to indicate a repeating decimal with the ... after the number.

Les talons said:
Ah, so since the branches are in parallel, they would have the same voltage drop?
Correct
Also, I tried to indicate a repeating decimal with the ... after the number.
Ah. Okay.

Related to Potential drop across capacitor after very long time

1. What is a potential drop across a capacitor?

A potential drop across a capacitor refers to the difference in electric potential between the two plates of a capacitor. This difference in potential creates an electric field between the plates, which stores electric charge and energy.

2. How is the potential drop across a capacitor calculated?

The potential drop across a capacitor can be calculated using the equation V = Q/C, where V is the potential difference, Q is the charge on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. This equation is derived from the relationship between charge, voltage, and capacitance in a capacitor.

3. What happens to the potential drop across a capacitor after a long time?

After a long time, the potential drop across a capacitor will reach its maximum value, also known as the steady-state voltage. This means that the capacitor is fully charged and can no longer store any more energy. The electric field between the plates will also reach its maximum value and remain constant.

4. Why does the potential drop across a capacitor become constant after a long time?

This is because the capacitor reaches a state of equilibrium, where the charge on the plates is balanced and the electric field is constant. In this state, the capacitor cannot store any more energy, and the potential drop across it remains constant.

5. How does the potential drop across a capacitor after a long time affect the overall circuit?

The potential drop across a capacitor after a long time is an important factor in determining the behavior of a circuit. It affects the voltage and current in the circuit, which in turn affects the functioning of any connected components. Therefore, it is crucial to understand the potential drop across a capacitor in order to analyze and design circuits accurately.