Position of brushes on the commutator in a DC generator

In summary: It makes sense now. I think the textbook just oversimplifies a bit. In summary, the brush should be placed so that the current reverses when it is perpendicular to the magnetic field.
Axe199
i am having a hard time understanding why do we place the brushes on the Magnetic neutral axis, the textbook simply says, because this is where the current reversal takes place, is the point where emf from different meet is the same as the point of current reversal?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you look at the coil in the magnetic field, you want the current to flow through it in a certain direction in order for the force to turn it in the wanted direction. When the coil gets to be perpendicular to the magnetic field, that's when we want the direction of the force to change. (The side of the coil which was going up, has reached the top and now must come down, etc.) So that's when we want the current to change which way it goes round the coil.
So the brushes must be positioned so that they change connections to the coil, when the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field.

See this video animation.

Likes jim hardy
I think the motor and generator will differ in the position of the brushes

Likes sophiecentaur
abdo799 said:
I think the motor and generator will differ in the position of the brushes

Yes. The optimum phase for switching would probably be slightly different. To minimise the current during switching, it would not be far from '90degrees', for both, though.

I still don't know why we put the brush at the point where the current is 0, we need max output so we should put it where the emf is max right?

abdo799 said:
I still don't know why we put the brush at the point where the current is 0, we need max output so we should put it where the emf is max right?
Faulty logic there, I'm afraid. When you have max emf, you want to be making use of it all the time. You use it for as long as it is in the same direction - i.e. until it is near zero. The direction of the emf will change after the zero crossing so that's when you want to switch over the connection. Then the current will be flowing in the same direction as before, through your external circuit - whichever angle the commutator is at.

Related to Position of brushes on the commutator in a DC generator

1. Why is the position of brushes important in a DC generator?

The position of brushes is important because it determines the flow of electrical current through the generator. The brushes are responsible for transferring the current from the rotating armature to the external circuit. If the brushes are not positioned correctly, it can result in inefficient operation of the generator and can also cause damage to the commutator and brushes.

2. How do you determine the correct position of brushes on a DC generator?

The correct position of brushes can be determined by the direction of rotation of the armature. The brushes should be placed at the point where the polarity of the armature changes from positive to negative. This point is known as the neutral plane. It can also be determined by using a commutator gauge or by trial and error method.

3. What happens if the brushes are not in the correct position?

If the brushes are not in the correct position, it can cause sparking and arcing on the commutator, which can lead to damage and wear of the brushes and commutator. It can also result in uneven distribution of current, leading to inefficient operation of the generator.

4. How often should the position of brushes be checked and adjusted?

The position of brushes should be checked and adjusted regularly, especially if the generator is in frequent use. It is recommended to check the position of brushes every 6 months or after every 500 hours of operation. However, if there are signs of sparking or inefficient operation, the position should be checked and adjusted immediately.

5. Can the position of brushes affect the output voltage of a DC generator?

Yes, the position of brushes can affect the output voltage of a DC generator. If the brushes are not in the correct position, it can result in an uneven distribution of current and lead to fluctuations in the output voltage. This can also impact the overall efficiency of the generator.