Polarization of Light

In summary, the minimum number of sheets required to rotate the direction of polarization of a beam of light through 90 degrees is 4. However, if the transmitted intensity needs to be more than 60% of the original intensity, then the minimum number of sheets required is 10. This is calculated by plugging in the values for n (number of sheets) and solving for the intensity equation I(n) = I(0)*(cos(90/n))^(2n). It is important to note that the intensity decreases with each sheet, therefore, a higher number of sheets is needed to reach the desired intensity level.
bberns
Question: We want to rotate the direction of polarization of a beam of light through 90 degrees by sending the beam through one or more polarizing sheets. (a) What is the minimum number of sheets required? (b) What is the minimum number of sheets required if the transmitted intensity is to be more than 60% of the original intensity?

Relevant Equations: I(n)=I(0)*(cos(90/n))^(2n)

I have had this problem explained to me once before but have had trouble following the logic of the problem and understanding how the direction of the light changes when moving through a polarizing sheet. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
bberns said:
Question: We want to rotate the direction of polarization of a beam of light through 90 degrees by sending the beam through one or more polarizing sheets. (a) What is the minimum number of sheets required? (b) What is the minimum number of sheets required if the transmitted intensity is to be more than 60% of the original intensity?

Relevant Equations: I(n)=I(0)*(cos(90/n))^(2n)

I have had this problem explained to me once before but have had trouble following the logic of the problem and understanding how the direction of the light changes when moving through a polarizing sheet. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Hi bberns! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

When polarized light enters a polarization filter that is at an angle of 90 degrees, no light can get through.
However, if the filter is at an angle of, say, 45 degrees, the amplitude is reduced by a factor of $\cos(45^\circ) = \frac 12 \sqrt 2$.
Since the intensity is related to the square of the amplitude, the intensity is reduced by a factor of $(\cos(45^\circ))^2 = \frac 12$, after which the process can be repeated to ultimately be left with a non-zero intensity at 90 degrees.

The formula shows how much intensity remains after $n$ filters that are at an angle of $90/n$ degrees with respect to each other.

Related to Polarization of Light

What is polarization of light?

Polarization of light refers to the orientation of the electric field vector of a light wave. It describes the direction in which the electric field oscillates as the wave propagates through space.

How does light become polarized?

Light can become polarized through various processes, such as reflection, refraction, and scattering. These processes can align the electric field vector of the light wave in a specific direction, resulting in polarization.

What are the types of polarization?

The three main types of polarization are linear, circular, and elliptical. Linear polarization occurs when the electric field vector oscillates in a single plane. Circular polarization occurs when the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion. Elliptical polarization occurs when the electric field vector traces out an elliptical path.

Why is polarization important?

Polarization is important in many applications, such as in sunglasses, LCD screens, and 3D glasses. It can also be used in scientific research to study the properties of materials, as polarization can change when light interacts with certain materials.

How is polarization measured?

Polarization can be measured using various instruments, such as polarimeters or polarizing filters. These instruments measure the intensity of light passing through a polarizer in different orientations, allowing for the determination of the polarization state.