Point of Intersection of two lines

In summary, Halls suggests finding linear combinations of the two equations, while the OP tried substituting and finding x in the first equation and then substituting into the second equation. However, x does not simplify to a reasonable form when done this way. After trying substitution and linear combinations, Halls suggests using the Pythagorean identity to solve for y.
Jumpsmash
Two tangents to an ellipse meet at a point T, find the coordinates of T.

The two equations are
(bcosΘ)x + (asinΘ)y= ab
(-bsinΘ)x + (acosΘ)y= ab

This has been really frustrating me as I feel it should be simple, but with the trigonometric parts I keep hitting a wall.

I have tried finding x in the first equation, which I worked out as X=(ab-asinΘy)/bcosΘ , and then substituting into the second equation to get a value for y, but I couldn't get it to condense to a reasonable form. I don't think this is the right approach and would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction of how I should approach it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jumpsmash said:
I have tried finding x in the first equation, which I worked out as X=(ab-asinΘy)/bcosΘ , and then substituting into the second equation to get a value for y, but I couldn't get it to condense to a reasonable form.
After substituting into the 2nd equation, multiply both sides by cosΘ. You'll be able to use the Pythagorean identity sin2 Θ + cos2 Θ = 1 to simplify things quite a bit.

If I work it through I seem to get once x has been substituted into the second equation

aby(cos^2Θ+sin^2Θ)= ab^2(cosΘ+sinΘ)
y=b(cosΘ+sinΘ)

I've quite probably lost the plot, but I have repeated this several times and come up with this. And given this result multiplying by cosΘ doesn't seem to help me. When I substitute this into the original equation I get an even more unwieldly result, and considering I have to use this point subsequently in what I'm doing I don't think it's right.

What you give for x simply isn't correct.
Multiply the first equation, (bcosΘ)x + (asinΘ)y= ab, by cosΘ, multiply the second equation, (-bsinΘ)x + (acosΘ)y= ab, by -sinΘ and add the two equations to eliminate y. There will be NO "b" in the result for x.

HallsofIvy said:
What you give for x simply isn't correct.
If you're referring to the OP:
X=(ab-asinΘy)/bcosΘ
... well, I got this too.

Jumpsmash said:
If I work it through I seem to get once x has been substituted into the second equation

aby(cos^2Θ+sin^2Θ)= ab^2(cosΘ+sinΘ)
y=b(cosΘ+sinΘ)

I've quite probably lost the plot, but I have repeated this several times and come up with this. And given this result multiplying by cosΘ doesn't seem to help me. When I substitute this into the original equation I get an even more unwieldly result, and considering I have to use this point subsequently in what I'm doing I don't think it's right.

What Halls is suggesting (linear combinations) is probably easier. But if you want to stick with substitution:
[tex]x = \frac{ab - a \sin\theta y}{b \cos \theta}[/tex]

Substitute this into the second equation:
[tex]-b\sin\theta \left( \frac{ab - a \sin\theta y}{b \cos \theta}\right) + a\cos\theta y = ab[/tex]

Cancel out the b:
[tex]-\sin\theta \left( \frac{ab - a \sin\theta y}{\cos \theta}\right) + a\cos\theta y = ab[/tex]

This is where I'm suggesting to multiply by cosΘ:
[tex]-\sin\theta \left( ab - a \sin\theta y \right) + a\cos^2 \theta y = ab\cos\theta[/tex]

From here you should be able to solve for y. It looks like you did, because you got
y = b cos Θ + b sin Θ
which is what I got.

Now substitute into
[tex]x = \frac{ab - a \sin\theta y}{b \cos \theta}[/tex]
and get
[tex]x = \frac{ab - a \sin\theta (b\cos\theta + b\sin\theta)}{b \cos \theta}[/tex]
and simplify.

Last edited:
Many thanks to both of you. I see the method by Halls and got the solutions through that. It did indeed seem quicker. With regard to the substitution, my apologies I did multiply through by cosΘ without realising and in fact reached the stage you showed. It was from there that I could not simplify it and thought I must have the wrong solution. From using the other method it appears x=a(cosΘ-sinΘ); but I still don't see how to simplify the equation for x from the subsitution to this form.

You mean simplifying x from here?
[tex]x = \frac{ab - a \sin\theta (b\cos\theta + b\sin\theta)}{b \cos \theta}[/tex]

Distribute:
[tex]x = \frac{ab - ab \sin\theta \cos\theta - ab\sin^2\theta}{b \cos \theta}[/tex]

Factor out an ab and cancel out the b:
[tex]x = \frac{a(1 - \sin\theta \cos\theta - \sin^2\theta)}{\cos \theta}[/tex]

Use the Pythagorean identity again (sin2 θ + cos2 θ = 1 -> 1 - sin2 θ = cos2 θ):
[tex]x = \frac{a(\cos^2 \theta - \sin\theta \cos\theta)}{\cos \theta}[/tex]

Can you finish from here?

Apologies for delay thought I sent this. Yes I can, many thanks.

Related to Point of Intersection of two lines

What is the definition of a point of intersection of two lines?

A point of intersection of two lines is a single point where the two lines intersect or cross each other. It is the common point shared by both lines.

How do you find the coordinates of a point of intersection?

To find the coordinates of a point of intersection, you can use the method of substitution or elimination. First, you need to solve the system of equations formed by the two lines. The x-coordinate of the point of intersection can be found by substituting the y-value from one equation into the other. The y-coordinate can be found by substituting the x-value into either of the original equations.

What is the significance of a point of intersection in a system of equations?

A point of intersection represents the solution to a system of equations. It is the point that satisfies both equations and makes them true. In other words, it is the point where the two lines meet and have equal values for both x and y coordinates.

Can two lines have more than one point of intersection?

No, two lines can only have one point of intersection. This point is unique for each pair of intersecting lines. However, parallel lines do not intersect and therefore have no point of intersection.

What happens if the two lines are parallel?

If the two lines are parallel, they will never intersect or have a point of intersection. This means that the system of equations formed by the two lines has no solution. The lines will have the same slope but different y-intercepts.