Plus or minus question for the complex log

• MHB
  • Thread starter cbarker1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex Log
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving solving an equation with the use of inverse sine. The main point of confusion is a small mistake in the calculations that results in a missing plus/minus sign in the final answer. The correct answer should include the plus/minus sign to account for both possible solutions.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everybody, I am having troubles figuring out why the plus or minus sign in this problem. The question is:

Solve the equation $\sin\left({z}\right)=2$ for $z$ by using $\arcsin\left({z}\right)$

The work for this problem is the following:
$\sin\left({z}\right)=2$
$z=\arcsin\left({2}\right)$
$=-i\log\left({2i+\sqrt{1-{2}^{2}}}\right)$
$=-i\log\left({2i+i\sqrt{3}}\right)$
$=-i\log\left({i\left(2+\sqrt{3}\right)}\right)$
$=-i\left[\log\left({i}\right)+\log\left({2+\sqrt{3}}\right)\right]$
$=-i\left[\log\left({i}\right)+\ln\left({2+\sqrt{3}}\right)\right]$
$=-i\left[\ln\left({1}\right)+i\frac{\pi}{2}+i2n\pi+\ln\left({2+\sqrt{3}}\right)\right]$
$=-i\left[\ln\left({2+\sqrt{3}}\right)+i\pi(2n+\frac{1}{2})\right]$
$=\pi(2n+\frac{1}{2})-i\ln\left({2+\sqrt{3}}\right)$ where $n\in\Bbb{Z}$

And the answer in the book:
$=\pi(2n+\frac{1}{2})\pm i\ln\left({2+\sqrt{3}}\right)$ where
$n\in\Bbb{Z}$

Where did I make a mistake?

Thanks,
Cbarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cbarker1,

You had $\sqrt{1-2^2} = i\sqrt{3}$ but isn't it $\pm i\sqrt{3}$ as there are two branches of the square root? If we consider $-i\sqrt{3}$ then we would have an $\ln(2-\sqrt{3})$ term which is the same as $-\ln(2 + \sqrt{3})$ because $(2 - \sqrt{3})(2 + \sqrt{3}) = 1$.

Hi Cbarker1,

It looks like you made a small mistake in your calculations. The correct answer should be:

$z=\pi(2n+\frac{1}{2})\pm i\ln\left({2+\sqrt{3}}\right)$ where
$n\in\Bbb{Z}$

You missed the plus/minus sign in front of the $i\ln\left({2+\sqrt{3}}\right)$ term. This is because when taking the inverse sine of a number, there are two possible solutions: one positive and one negative. So, the correct answer should include the plus/minus sign to account for both solutions.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Plus or minus question for the complex log

1. What is a "plus or minus" question for the complex log?

A "plus or minus" question for the complex log is a mathematical equation that involves both positive and negative values for the complex logarithm. This can be represented as log(z) = ln|z| + i arg(z) where "arg(z)" is the argument (or angle) of the complex number z and "ln|z|" is the natural logarithm of the absolute value of z.

2. How do you solve a "plus or minus" question for the complex log?

To solve a "plus or minus" question for the complex log, you first need to identify the complex number in question and calculate its absolute value and argument. Then, you can use the formula log(z) = ln|z| + i arg(z) to find the complex logarithm of the number. Remember to include both positive and negative values in your answer to account for the "plus or minus" aspect of the question.

3. What is the difference between a "plus or minus" question and a regular complex log question?

The main difference between a "plus or minus" question and a regular complex log question is that a "plus or minus" question requires you to consider both positive and negative values for the complex logarithm, while a regular complex log question only requires you to find the value of the logarithm for one specific value of the complex number.

4. Can a "plus or minus" question have more than one solution?

Yes, a "plus or minus" question can have more than one solution. This is because there are multiple values of the complex logarithm that can satisfy the equation log(z) = ln|z| + i arg(z). In fact, there can be an infinite number of solutions for a "plus or minus" question depending on the given complex number and the range of values for the logarithm and argument.

5. How can you check your answer to a "plus or minus" question for the complex log?

You can check your answer to a "plus or minus" question for the complex log by plugging your solution back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the complex logarithm function and visually see if your solution falls on the graph. It is also a good idea to double-check your calculations to ensure accuracy.