Plotting graphs in three dimension

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of parametric equations to plot a graph on a computer or a graphing calculator. The equations are given as function1: x = n(cos((pi/2)-2pi/n)) and function2: y = n(sin((pi/2)-2pi/n)). The goal is to plot a graph where the x and y values are the horizontal and vertical components of the point, respectively. It is suggested to think in three dimensions for this task. The speaker also mentions that it may be easier to plot the curve in polar coordinates. They are r=n and theta = Pi/2 - 2Pi/n. The use of Excel to create a scatter plot is also mentioned as a possible method
24forChromium
I have function1: x = n(cos((pi/2)-2pi/n))
and function2: y = n(sin((pi/2)-2pi/n))

my goal is to plot a graph where for the same value of n, the x and y are respectively the horizontal and vertical component of the point, this graph should preferably possible to create on a computer or a graphing calculator like ti-84. Someone told me that this thing can be benefited from thinking in three dimensions, not sure what that means.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think those are parametric equations. I'm not sure how it works on ti-84, but if you search on YouTube how to plot parametric equations on ti-84, I'm more than certain you'll find something.

It might be easier to plot the curve in polar coordinates, which are:
r=n
theta=Pi/2 - 2Pi/n

upload_2015-12-7_7-9-46.png

24forChromium said:
Thanks a lot, how and where did you do this?
Excel. Tabulate x and y against n and ask for a "scatter plot".

Related to Plotting graphs in three dimension

1. How do you plot a graph in three dimensions?

To plot a graph in three dimensions, you will need to use a three-dimensional coordinate system with x, y, and z axes. The x and y axes represent the horizontal and vertical dimensions, while the z axis represents the depth or height. You can plot points, lines, and surfaces in this coordinate system to create a three-dimensional graph.

2. What is the purpose of plotting graphs in three dimensions?

The purpose of plotting graphs in three dimensions is to visualize and understand complex data or relationships between variables. It allows for a more comprehensive representation of data than a two-dimensional graph, as it can show the relationship between three variables instead of just two.

3. What are some common types of three-dimensional graphs?

Some common types of three-dimensional graphs include scatter plots, surface plots, and bar charts. These graphs can be used to represent relationships between continuous variables, categorical variables, or a combination of both.

4. What software or tools are commonly used for plotting graphs in three dimensions?

There are many software and tools available for plotting graphs in three dimensions, such as MATLAB, Python's Matplotlib library, and Excel. These tools provide a user-friendly interface and a variety of options for customizing and analyzing three-dimensional graphs.

5. What are some challenges of plotting graphs in three dimensions?

One of the main challenges of plotting graphs in three dimensions is that it can be difficult to accurately interpret and visualize the data. It can also be challenging to find the right scale for each axis and to avoid misleading visualizations. Additionally, three-dimensional graphs can be more complex and time-consuming to create compared to two-dimensional graphs.