Play 20 questions with a computer

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation discussed a website that allows users to play a game of 20 questions with a computer. Some users had trouble with the link, but it was eventually resolved. The game was able to correctly guess some objects, but had trouble with more abstract concepts like "mistrust" and "intelligence". The conversation also mentioned some objects that were successfully guessed, such as a giraffe and a sponge, but also some that were not, like a turnip and human. The conversation ended with one user deciding to stop playing while they were ahead.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just sign in as an anonymous player.

http://q.20q.net/q.cgi

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry the link doesn't work

It was working...the link is correct. I'll check again later.

it took a couple of goes for me... it doesn't know what 'mistrust' is.

Originally posted by jimmy p
it took a couple of goes for me... it doesn't know what 'mistrust' is.

The link works again and you're cheating! Animal, vegetable, or mineral; not abstract concepts.

I am amazed! This this is wonderful. It has got everything that i have thought of.

1) book
2)treadmill
3)light switch
4)cell phone
5)photograph

I'm amazed too!
It got: giraffe and sponge
but failed to guess: turnip and intelligence.
It won two and i won two, I'm going to quit while I'm as ahead as i can be!:wink:

It failed to guess human, but I think I threw it off when I answered "Do people own it as a pet?" with "rarely".

Related to Play 20 questions with a computer

1. How does the computer guess the object I am thinking of?

The computer uses a process called binary search, where it asks a series of yes or no questions to narrow down the possible options until it arrives at the correct answer.

2. Can I choose any object to play 20 questions with?

Yes, the computer can guess any object as long as it is a tangible, physical object.

3. How many questions can I ask the computer?

You can ask up to 20 questions, as the game is called "Play 20 questions". However, you can also choose to stop the game at any point before reaching 20 questions if you feel confident in your guess.

4. Can I play 20 questions with a computer by myself?

Yes, you can play 20 questions with a computer by yourself. The computer will ask you questions and you can provide the answers until it guesses your object or runs out of questions.

5. Is it possible to win against the computer in 20 questions?

Yes, it is possible to win against the computer in 20 questions if you choose an object that is not commonly known or difficult to guess. However, the computer is designed to have a high success rate in guessing objects correctly.