Platinum Resistor: Measuring Temperature with High Accuracy

In summary, the question is asking to determine the accuracy needed in measuring the electrical resistance of a Pt-resistance thermometer in order to achieve a temperature accuracy of ±0.1 K. This can be done by analyzing the linear relationship between temperature and resistance, and taking into account the uncertainties associated with the original data used to form the equation.
ilyas415

Homework Statement

A Pt-resistance thermometer is used to measure temperatures in the range 0°C to 100°C. The electrical resistance of the thermometer is 2 Ω at 20°C and 6 Ω at 100°C. It is necessary to measure the temperature to an accuracy of ± 0.1 K. How accurately must the electrical resistance be measured?

Homework Equations

I don't think you need any equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried assuming a linear relationship because the liquid in the thermometer must have a linear expansion. I figured out the linear relationship:

T = 20R - 20 [where T is the temperature in celsius and R is the resistance in ohms].

However, after this, I'm not sure how to approach the question. I don't quite fully understand what the question is asking. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is asking you to perform some kind of error analysis based on accuracy of the measured resistance--if R is off by so much, how far off will T be, etc. But you should also pay attention to the original data that you used to form your equation. What kind of uncertainties are associated with those data?

hi ilyas415! :smile:
ilyas415 said:
The electrical resistance of the thermometer is 2 Ω at 20°C and 6 Ω at 100°C. It is necessary to measure the temperature to an accuracy of ± 0.1 K. How accurately must the electrical resistance be measured?

However, after this, I'm not sure how to approach the question. I don't quite fully understand what the question is asking.

how much difference in R corresponds to a difference of 0.1 K in T ? :wink:

Related to Platinum Resistor: Measuring Temperature with High Accuracy

1. What is a platinum resistor and how does it work?

A platinum resistor is a type of resistor made from platinum metal. It works by utilizing the characteristic of platinum to have a stable and predictable resistance at various temperatures. This makes it useful for applications that require accurate resistance values at different temperatures.

2. What are the advantages of using a platinum resistor?

One of the main advantages of using a platinum resistor is its high accuracy and stability. It also has a wide temperature range, making it suitable for use in extreme environments. Additionally, platinum is a highly corrosion-resistant metal, making these resistors durable and long-lasting.

3. How is a platinum resistor different from other types of resistors?

Unlike most other resistors that have a linear relationship between resistance and temperature, a platinum resistor has a non-linear relationship. This means that its resistance value changes at a different rate compared to other resistors when the temperature changes. Additionally, platinum resistors have a higher temperature coefficient of resistance (TCR), making them more precise at different temperatures.

4. What are common applications of platinum resistors?

Platinum resistors are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and medical, where high accuracy and stability are crucial. They are also used in electronic devices such as temperature sensors, thermometers, and thermostats.

5. Can a platinum resistor be used in all types of circuits?

Yes, a platinum resistor can be used in various types of circuits, including DC, AC, and high-frequency circuits. However, its non-linear relationship between resistance and temperature should be taken into account when designing a circuit to ensure accurate readings.