Pivoting Stick (Rotational Dynamics)

In summary, The problem involves a pivoting stick of uniform density with mass 7.9 kg and length 1 m. The stick is held horizontal and released, with an axle located 0.15 m from one end. The moment of inertia about the axle is calculated using the Parallel Axis Theorem, and the potential energy when the center of mass is at its highest point is found to be 27.13 J. The maximum kinetic energy is then calculated using the potential energy, and the angular speed of the stick as it passes through the vertical is determined to be 5.776 rad/seg.
santi_h87
I misunderstood the problem, and the answer is the correct one! sorry, and someone can close this post if necessary

Homework Statement

A stick of uniform density with mass M = 7.9 kg and length L = 1 m is pivoted about an axle which is perpendicular to its length and located 0.15 m from one end. Ignore any friction between the stick and the axle.

The stick is held horizontal and then released. What is its angular speed as it passes through the vertical.

[PLAIN]https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/phys2111/summer/homework/Ch-10-Rotation/pivoting_stick/5.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

1) First I calculated the moment of inertia about the axle using the Parallel Axis Thm:
Itotal = Icm + Md2
d = 0.50 - 0.15 => d = 0.35
Itotal = (1/12)ML2 + Md2 => Itotal = 1.626

2) I calculated the potential energy when the center of mass is at its highest point:
U=Mgh => U=Mgd => U=27.13 J

2) When this potential energy is 0, it's kinetic energy is maximum, so:
(1/2)Itotalw2=U => w=sqrt(2U/Itotal) => w=5.776 rad/seg

I will appreciate any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is the potential energy Mgd? Where is your zero of potential energy?

santi_h87 said:
I misunderstood the problem, and the answer is the correct one! sorry, and someone can close this post if necessary

Homework Statement

A stick of uniform density with mass M = 7.9 kg and length L = 1 m is pivoted about an axle which is perpendicular to its length and located 0.15 m from one end. Ignore any friction between the stick and the axle.

The stick is held horizontal and then released. What is its angular speed as it passes through the vertical.

[PLAIN]https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/phys2111/summer/homework/Ch-10-Rotation/pivoting_stick/5.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

1) First I calculated the moment of inertia about the axle using the Parallel Axis Thm:
Itotal = Icm + Md2
d = 0.50 - 0.15 => d = 0.35
Itotal = (1/12)ML2 + Md2 => Itotal = 1.626

2) I calculated the potential energy when the center of mass is at its highest point:
U=Mgh => U=Mgd => U=27.13 J

2) When this potential energy is 0, it's kinetic energy is maximum, so:
(1/2)Itotalw2=U => w=sqrt(2U/Itotal) => w=5.776 rad/seg

I will appreciate any help!

Hi santi_h87,
Your answers are correct. But d symbol is not the same on your diagram and the calculation d.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Pivoting Stick (Rotational Dynamics)

1. What is a pivoting stick in rotational dynamics?

A pivoting stick in rotational dynamics refers to a rigid object that is free to rotate around a fixed point, known as the pivot point or fulcrum. This concept is used to analyze the motion and forces acting on a rotating object.

2. How is the moment of inertia related to a pivoting stick?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In the case of a pivoting stick, the moment of inertia depends on the distribution of mass around the pivot point and the distance of the mass from the pivot. A larger moment of inertia requires more torque to produce the same angular acceleration.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity refers to the rate of change of linear displacement. In the case of a pivoting stick, angular velocity would be the rotational speed around the pivot point, while linear velocity would be the speed of the stick's center of mass.

4. How does the location of the pivot point affect the motion of a pivoting stick?

The location of the pivot point can greatly affect the motion of a pivoting stick. If the pivot point is closer to the center of mass, the stick will have a lower moment of inertia and will be easier to rotate. However, if the pivot point is further away from the center of mass, the stick will have a higher moment of inertia and will require more torque to rotate.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational dynamics involving pivoting sticks?

Some real-life examples of rotational dynamics involving pivoting sticks include seesaws, balance scales, and lever systems. These all involve a rigid object rotating around a fixed point, with a force being applied at a distance from the pivot point to cause rotation. Additionally, many simple machines, such as wrenches and door handles, also use the principles of rotational dynamics and pivoting sticks.