Pigeonhole Principle and Boolean Matrices

In summary: Hmm...0 0 1 1 1 1 1 11 0 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 0 0 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 1 1 1 1 1 1 1The point would be at the intersection of the row and column in which that entry is located.In summary, the problem asks for a row and column such that when the total of the entries in the row and column are added,
annpaulveal

Homework Statement

Let A be an 8x8 Boolean matrix. If the sum of A = 51, prove there is a row and a column such that when the total of the entries in the row and column are added, their sum is greater than 13.

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered a selection of one row and one column, which contains 16 boxes. Given the size of the matrix, there are 4 such selections of unique boxes, or 4 pigeonholes. If the sum of each such pigeonhole was <= 12, the sum of A would be 48 at a maximum. Therefore, the sum of at least one such pigeonhole must be greater than 13 to reach the sum of 51.

However, I'm not sure if my solution is sufficient to account for the single overlapping box between a row and a column at every selection of one row and one column. Also, the fact that there are 64 unique boxes and therefore 4 unique selections of 16 does not account for the fact that the problem is specifically asking for rows and columns, which intersect in the way I just described.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given the size of the matrix
You did not give it, but I guess that it is 8x8.
However, I'm not sure if my solution is sufficient to account for the single overlapping box between a row and a column at every selection of one row and one column.
I think you cannot fix that problem in your approach, so a different approach is needed.

Can you show that there is at least one row with 7 entries? What would happen if all rows had at most 6 entries?
Can you do the same with columns? How many columns have to have 7 entries?

Would a better solution be to say that the sum of 51 in a 64-square Boolean matrix implies there are are 13 0s to be placed, and they can't be placed in such a way that each row/column combination adds up to 13 or less?

annpaulveal said:
Would a better solution be to say that the sum of 51 in a 64-square Boolean matrix implies there are are 13 0s to be placed, and they can't be placed in such a way that each row/column combination adds up to 13 or less?

I don't think that makes it any easier. Just think through mfb's hint.

annpaulveal said:
when the total of the entries in the row and column are added, their sum is greater than 13.
If I read that strictly, an entry that is in both that row and that column should only be counted once. OTOH, I don't think the result is true in that case.

haruspex said:
If I read that strictly, an entry that is in both that row and that column should only be counted once. OTOH, I don't think the result is true in that case.
Hmm...
Code:
0	0	1	1	1	1	1	1
1	0	1	1	1	1	1	1
1	1	0	0	1	1	1	1
1	1	1	0	1	1	1	1
1	1	1	1	0	0	1	1
1	1	1	1	1	0	1	1
1	1	1	1	1	1	0	0
0	1	1	1	1	1	1	0

On the other hand, if that entry is counted twice, where is the point in this matrix?

Related to Pigeonhole Principle and Boolean Matrices

1. What is the Pigeonhole Principle?

The Pigeonhole Principle is a mathematical principle that states that if there are n items and m containers where n is greater than m, then at least one container must contain more than one item.

2. How is the Pigeonhole Principle applied in real life?

The Pigeonhole Principle can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as organizing items in a store, assigning seats in a classroom, or scheduling appointments for a limited number of time slots.

3. What are Boolean matrices?

Boolean matrices are matrices where each element can only have two values: 0 (false) or 1 (true). They are commonly used in logic circuits and computer science to represent logical propositions and operations.

4. How is the Pigeonhole Principle related to Boolean matrices?

The Pigeonhole Principle is related to Boolean matrices because it can be used to prove the existence of a certain pattern or combination within a matrix. For example, if a Boolean matrix has more columns than rows, the Pigeonhole Principle guarantees that there will be at least one column with more than one true value.

5. Can the Pigeonhole Principle be used to solve problems involving Boolean matrices?

Yes, the Pigeonhole Principle can be a useful tool in solving problems involving Boolean matrices. It can help identify patterns, make predictions, and prove the existence of certain combinations within the matrix.