Physics major with a minor in mechanical engineering

In summary, the person is a junior pursuing a B.S in physics and is considering minoring in mechanical engineering to be more competitive in the job market. They are also considering electrical engineering as a second choice due to their experience as a nuclear electronics technician. They are interested in working for weapons manufacturers or NAVSEA at a naval shipyard in Norfolk, VA. Suggestions are made to look into potential job opportunities through their university's physics department and to network with companies like Dominion and North Anna. It is noted that having an engineering degree may be more beneficial for finding mechanical engineering jobs than a minor.
catsonmars
Hi, so I'm a junior pursuing a B.S in physics but I'm thinking that might not be enough to make me competitive. So I am thinking about minoring in mechanical engineering to make me more competitive. The thing is I'm not sure if it will even matter in the job market. I want to wait a bit to get a masters degree, so I'm thinking a minor in mechanical engineering might help. The thing is some of the classes seem rather redundant, so a second choice would be electrical engineering. It would be harder but it would compliment my naval experience as a nuclear electronics technician quite nicely. If it matters I live in Richmond, Va and I'd like to either work for one of the weapons manufactures or even NAVSEA at naval shipyard in Norfolk. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
A minor in mechanical engineering will probably not be sufficient to make you competitive with mechanical engineers. I do not know the details of your program, but a typical minor only covers the lower-level coursework in a given field. That is not what makes you useful to an employer.

Now, that being said, does your university physics department have any relationships with the defense companies? If they do, that would be a way for you to find out what kind of coursework they are looking for and also a way to get your network started.

Try to talk to someone at VEPCO, sorry, Dominion, about jobs at North Anna. You might be surprised where your Navy ELT can go.

What kind of job are you looking for? That makes a difference - if you're looking for mechanical engineering jobs, you'll be much better off with an engineering degree than a minor.

I can understand your concern about making yourself more competitive in the job market. Pursuing a minor in mechanical engineering or electrical engineering could certainly enhance your skills and make you stand out to potential employers. However, it's important to consider if this minor aligns with your career goals and if it will truly make a difference in the job market.

In my experience, having a diverse skill set can be beneficial in any field, including physics and engineering. It's great that you are considering how your naval experience and potential career goals align with your academic choices. I would recommend researching the job market in your desired field to see if a minor in mechanical or electrical engineering is in high demand. You may also want to speak with professionals in the field to get their perspective on the value of a minor in engineering for your specific goals.

Additionally, it's important to consider the time and effort required to complete a minor, especially if it may delay your pursuit of a master's degree. Ultimately, it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons and decide if pursuing a minor in engineering is the best choice for you. I wish you the best of luck in your academic and career endeavors.

Related to Physics major with a minor in mechanical engineering

1. What is the difference between a physics major and a mechanical engineering minor?

A physics major focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of matter and energy, while a mechanical engineering minor provides a more practical and hands-on approach to designing and building mechanical systems. Physics majors typically have a stronger theoretical background, while mechanical engineering minors have a more specialized skillset in designing and analyzing mechanical systems.

2. Can I pursue a career in mechanical engineering with a physics major and mechanical engineering minor?

Yes, having a physics major and mechanical engineering minor can open up career opportunities in both fields. The strong foundation in physics principles can be applied to various aspects of mechanical engineering, such as designing and analyzing systems with complex physical properties.

3. What kind of courses will I take as a physics major with a minor in mechanical engineering?

As a physics major, you will take courses in areas such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. As a mechanical engineering minor, you will take courses in areas such as mechanics of materials, fluid mechanics, and control systems. You may also have the opportunity to take courses that combine both physics and mechanical engineering principles, such as solid-state physics or engineering thermodynamics.

4. What skills will I develop as a physics major with a minor in mechanical engineering?

As a physics major, you will develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. In addition, a minor in mechanical engineering will provide you with practical skills such as design, analysis, and hands-on experience with mechanical systems. This combination of skills can be valuable in a variety of industries, including engineering, research, and technology.

5. Can I switch my major from physics to mechanical engineering or vice versa?

It is possible to switch your major from physics to mechanical engineering or vice versa. However, it may require taking additional courses to meet the requirements for the new major. It is recommended to speak with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action and to ensure a smooth transition.