Physics Lesson for 11th grade in USA

In summary, in an American public high school, students take a standard physics course, with more time spent on Electricity and Magnetism. The AP physics exam only covers mechanics and E&M.
deebhagalz
hello everyone, my name is dee. i am new here and would like to ask you a question.

"What does 11th grade students in USA study in Physics class?" (in reguler and AP class)

i am Indonesian student who will going to study in USA this coming school year as exchange student, and my host dad tell me that he believes AP Physics class will suit me well..
I need to know what will i learn in AP Physics Class in USA, and what if i take the reguler physics class ?

i am looking forward for your help, thanks before ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
In my AP class we covered Optics, Electricity & Magnetism, Special Relativity, Nuclear Physics and Thermodynamics. Most of the first semester was E&M. Good luck!

thanks! i`ve learned the basic of Opics, E&M, Special Relativity and Thermodynamics here in Indonesia. wish i will do well in my AP Class there.

mg0stisha said:
In my AP class we covered Optics, Electricity & Magnetism, Special Relativity, Nuclear Physics and Thermodynamics. Most of the first semester was E&M. Good luck!

Where did you do this? Private school? The AP physics exam only covers mechanics and E&M, and that's all we ever did in public school. I can't imagine any public school even touches special relativity, nuclear physics, or thermo...

Nope I took it at a public school. First year (non-AP) covers all mechanics, then AP covers the aforementioned topics, with the most time spent on E&M.

And the moral of this story is, "there's no such thing as a single answer to any question about the U.S. educational system!" So if deebhagalz wants a definite answer to his question about the difference between AP physics and regular physics at his school, he needs to ask someone who is familiar with his school. I do think the situation at mg0stisha's school is rather unusual.

Last edited:
I went to a small public high school, and I just wish that I had the opportunity to take more. Calculus BC was not even offered.

I am going to a public high school in Northwest, DC area. Does that make senses?
Well, i hope what i`ll learn will not be much different from what everyone said here.
but looks like i`ll definitely learn about E&M ..

Related to Physics Lesson for 11th grade in USA

1. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics is the study of motion and forces in the macroscopic world, while modern physics deals with the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic level. Modern physics includes theories such as relativity and quantum mechanics, which have revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

2. How does physics relate to real-life applications?

Physics is the foundation of many real-life applications, including technology, engineering, and medicine. Without the principles of physics, we would not have inventions such as computers, cars, or medical equipment. Understanding physics also helps us make informed decisions about energy usage and environmental issues.

3. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics include classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. Classical mechanics deals with the motion of objects, while electricity and magnetism explain the behavior of charged particles. Thermodynamics studies the transfer of heat and energy, optics focuses on the properties of light, and modern physics explores the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level.

4. What is the scientific method and how is it used in physics?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to solving problems and answering questions through observation, experimentation, and analysis. In physics, the scientific method is used to develop theories and laws that accurately describe the behavior of the physical world. Scientists use this method to test hypotheses and make predictions about the natural world.

5. How does physics help us understand the universe?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. By understanding these laws, we can explain and predict the behavior of objects in the universe, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest galaxies. Physics also helps us understand the origins and evolution of the universe through theories such as the Big Bang and the theory of relativity.