Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a double major in Chemistry and Mathematics while also considering a future in physics graduate school. However, it is recommended to attend an undergraduate institution with a physics major instead of taking a chemistry and mathematics route. While a minor in physics may be helpful for certain areas of physics, it may not be sufficient for a theoretical particle physics graduate program. Some individuals with chemistry degrees do pursue graduate studies in physics, depending on their area of interest.
PhysicallyAbel
I'm about to enter University for a Chemistry major, but I've been throwing around the idea of a double major and also taking Mathematics. They do not offer a physics major, but it's my understanding that physics is heavily reliant on advanced math and that physics itself is so hard because many lack the mathematical understanding.

If I were to take this road, would there be a significant learning curve if I tried to pursue a graduate education in physics? I'm currently reading through the Feynman lectures to get an introduction to a physics undergrad, but I'm unsure of what standards have been set for a student pursuing graduate school. I've heard of the physics GRE, but I'm not too familiar. I understand that it involves Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Quantum Mechanics, and many other areas of Physics. Areas that neither a Chem or Math major would cover. Which is why I'm concerned about taking my current path.

Anyone have some insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're just starting out and your goal is to get into physics graduate school, the best route would be to attend an undergraduate institution that offers a degree in physics rather than trying to take a chemistry and mathematics route and hope that will be good enough.

I agree with Choppy. Does your university not offer at least some elective courses in physics? It's worth mentioning that minoring or double majoring in mathematics could definitely be useful if you were perhaps planning on studying physical chemistry, or perhaps chemical physics (the names refer to which side of the line you fall on).

snatchingthepi said:
I agree with Choppy. Does your university not offer at least some elective courses in physics? It's worth mentioning that minoring or double majoring in mathematics could definitely be useful if you were perhaps planning on studying physical chemistry, or perhaps chemical physics (the names refer to which side of the line you fall on).

They do offer a minor program in physics. Though again my concern is that it wouldn't be sufficient enough for a graduate education. I understand what you are both saying, and I'm intending on speaking to the guidance to see how to remedy the situation. I may end up transferring to a place that offers a physics major, if that's what it takes. It would cost more money and resources then I would like, however. But I guess sacrifices must be made.

So called "minors" courses are very junior introductions to physics that probably won't not be to the standard as a theoretical particle physics graduate programme, but would most certainly be of help in say a condensed matter or atomic/molecular/optical programme. It depends on what you want to do. People with chemistry degrees do in fact take on graduate study in physics - it just depends on the area. The converse is also true. There is a physics undergrad major at my institution who is now doing work in a chemistry masters programme focused on multifunctional materials.

Related to Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree

What can I do with a Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree?

There are many career options available for individuals with a Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree. Some common career paths include working as a research scientist, data analyst, financial analyst, engineer, or teacher. The analytical and problem-solving skills gained through this degree can also be applied in various other fields, such as business, law, and medicine.

What skills will I gain from a Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree?

Students pursuing a Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree will develop numerous skills that are highly sought after in the job market. These include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and mathematical modeling. They will also gain a strong foundation in physics principles and mathematical concepts, which can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems.

Is a Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree a difficult program?

Like any other science or mathematics degree, a Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree can be challenging. It requires a strong aptitude for math and physics, as well as dedication and hard work. However, with proper time management and a passion for the subject, it is a rewarding and fulfilling program that can lead to many exciting career opportunities.

What are the prerequisites for a Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree?

The specific prerequisites for a Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree may vary from university to university. However, in general, students should have a strong background in mathematics, including calculus, algebra, and geometry. It is also recommended to have taken advanced science courses in high school, such as physics and chemistry, to prepare for the rigor of the program.

Can I pursue a graduate degree with a Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree?

A Physics Graduate with Mathematics degree provides a solid foundation for pursuing a graduate degree in various fields, including physics, mathematics, engineering, and related sciences. Many universities offer graduate programs specifically for students with this degree, and it can also be a stepping stone to other advanced degrees, such as a Master's in Business Administration or Law degree.