Physics car problem kinematics

In summary: If the total distance is d, how long does it take to travel d/2 km at 65 km/h? How long does it take to travel d/2 km at 117 km/h? What will be the total time?
benEE2018
1. The problem statement, all
You drive on Interstate 10 from San Antonio to Houston, half the time at 65 km/h and the other half at 117 km/h. On the way back you travel half thedistance at 65 km/h and the other half at 117 km/h. What is your average speed (a) from San Antonio to Houston, (b) from Houston back to San Antonio, and (c) for the entire trip? (d) What is your average velocity for the entire trip? and given/known data

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For a. i just divided added the two veloicities and divided by 2 and that was because it was half the TIME. I am really stumped as to how to find B and have no clue where to start as i am not given much information. I somewhat know i have to do something involving s=d/t with some unknowns but other than that have no clue please help only on B.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to introduce an unknown for the total distance and work out the times. The unknown will disappear later.

i am using the s=d/t and for the speed i split it up into two separate parts for both the different speeds (117 and 65km/hr) but i am not given distance or time. so both equations i have (65km/hr)= d/t and (117km/hr)= d/t. i thought about putting 1/2 for d because its half the distance of the total distance? how do u work out the times as u suggested?

The distance s between SA and Houston is the same distance between Houston and SA. You've been given some hints; how about taking a shot at solving the problem. If you get stuck, you can always ask a follow-up question.

If the total distance is d, how long does it take to travel half that distance at 65 km/h? How long does it take to travel half that distance at 117 km/h? What will be the total time?

Related to Physics car problem kinematics

What is kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects as they move through space and time.

What is the physics car problem?

The physics car problem, also known as the kinematics car problem, is a common type of problem in which a car's motion is analyzed using the principles of kinematics. This involves determining the car's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time it took to travel that distance. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, which is determined by calculating the slope of the position-time graph at that point.

How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. This means that an object can have a constant velocity but still have acceleration if its direction of motion changes. Conversely, a changing velocity indicates that an object is accelerating.