Physics 11 kinetic and potential energy2

In summary: This is analogous to the situation of potential and kinetic energy. If you lift a weight, the amount of work done is equal to the change in its potential energy (the work done to raise it from one height to another). If you release it, it will have the same potential energy as when you lifted it. So the net work done is zero.
Iceclover

Homework Statement

A 98N sack of grain is hoisted to a storage room 50m above the ground floor of a grain elevator.
a) how much work was required
b) what is the potential energy of the sack of grain at this height
c) the rope being used to lift the sack of grain breaks just as the sack reaches the storage room. what kinetic energy does the sack have just before it strikes the ground floor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the same answer each time. I got 4.9x10^3 for a, b and c

Physics news on Phys.org
Me too. Do you know why they're all the same?

the work-energy therom?

and if an object was falling and was losing 400J of potential energy how much kinetic energy would it gain?

funny dude.

OK, for each specific case:
Why does energy needed to lift=potential energy at top?
More basically, why does potential energy at top=kinetic energy at bottom?

Iceclover said:
and if an object was falling and was losing 400J of potential energy how much kinetic energy would it gain?

No, no. You tell me. This be basic, basic theorem. Veeeerrrrrrry important. And it is not the Work-Energy Theorem (though \it could be related to it rather neatly).

would it gain 400J? i really just don't get this

Yes it would be 400J. There's not much to get. The conservation of energy states quite simply that under certain conditions, mechanical energy remains constant. This is written up as [tex]E_{mec}=K+U=constant[/tex] (K is kinetic energy and U is potential energy).

So any loss in potential energy requires an equal gain in kinetic energy, and vice-versa.

The usual analogy is of two glasses and a given amount of liquid. If you pour the liquid from one glass to the other (without spilling), whatever amount one glass loses, the other glass gains.

Related to Physics 11 kinetic and potential energy2

1. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect an object's potential energy?

An object's potential energy is affected by its height, mass, and the force acting on it.

4. Can potential energy be converted into kinetic energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when an object is in motion, such as a roller coaster going down a hill.

5. How does conservation of energy apply to kinetic and potential energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of kinetic and potential energy, the total energy of a system remains constant, and one form of energy can be converted into the other.