Phonons and classical non-locality?

In summary, phonons are collective excitations of classical stuff made possible by the QM properties of the ensemble members. They can have quantum entanglement, and are a part of the understanding of microscopic material elasticity.
Jimster41
I just discovered the concept of phonons and the story of Brian Josephson (from reading "Sync" by Steven Strogatz).

What the h...?

So Phonon's are collective excitations of classical stuff made from QM ensembles, excitations made possible by the QM properties of the ensemble members? Are phonons not examples of non-local entanglement at classical scales?

Can an ensemble of phonons have "collective excitations"?

Does phonon evolution require collapse-like measurements, or preclude them, or i don't know, somehow absorb or erase them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phonons are quantized sound waves just like photons are quantized light waves.

Just as pairs or groups of photons can be entangled with one another, so can pairs/groups of phonons.

In principle. it is definitely possible to have quantum entanglement occur at the macroscopic scale.
See for example:
http://iopscience.iop.org/1742-6596/442/1/012004

We don't necessarily see it all the time because quantum behavior is usually hard to observe outside the laboratory, where we can isolate the object we're looking at from outside disturbances.

Likes Jimster41
Very readable paper. And an elegant experiment. I also liked the paragraph at the end about the back propagation of the measurement projection to avoid the retro-causality GR-frame issue. I finally sort of got that argument. If I understand correctly the idea is that there is literally nothing available inside the quantum, meaning inside the interval between the detector d and the moment of scattering. Therefore all "projections of measurement" relate to the state at the moment of scattering.

That said, the non-local (space-like) coherence of the phonon across the two diamonds is plenty bizzare? That's what that is right?

The part I just can't shake is how a system going from state to state in the non-equilibrium case doesn't play some version of this same game. The experiment is about a controlled exposure of the phenomenon through an extraordinary manipulation of entropy and disequilibrium, but doesn't the result potentially show a fundamental mechanism of everyday quantum chemistry? Are phonons a part of the understanding of microscopic material elasticity? I feel like the gap between QM and chemistry is an absolute blank, in my mind.

Related to Phonons and classical non-locality?

1. What are phonons and how do they differ from particles?

Phonons are quantized vibrations or waves that occur in a crystal lattice. They are considered collective excitations, meaning they involve the coordinated movement of many particles in the lattice. This is in contrast to individual particles, which can move independently.

2. How do phonons contribute to classical non-locality?

Classical non-locality refers to the phenomenon where particles can exhibit correlations or connections with each other, even when separated by large distances. Phonons contribute to this by allowing for the transfer of energy and information between particles in a lattice, regardless of their physical distance.

3. Can phonons be observed or measured?

Yes, phonons can be observed and measured using techniques such as neutron scattering, Raman spectroscopy, and infrared spectroscopy. These methods allow for the detection of phonons by measuring changes in energy or frequency of scattered particles or light.

4. How do phonons affect the properties of materials?

Phonons play a crucial role in determining the thermal and electrical properties of materials. They also contribute to other properties such as thermal expansion and thermal conductivity. The presence of phonons can also affect the behavior of electrons in a material, influencing phenomena such as electrical resistance and superconductivity.

5. Are there any practical applications of phonons or classical non-locality?

Yes, there are several practical applications of phonons and classical non-locality. Some examples include the development of phononic materials for sound insulation and manipulation, the use of phononic crystals in energy harvesting and sensing, and the application of classical non-locality in quantum information processing and communication.