PhD application after a year and half out of Master's degree

In summary, the speaker has a Master's degree and is considering applying to PhD programs in Canada. They have been working in an unrelated field and mainly teaching children in a developing country. The question is whether this experience will be viewed positively or negatively by Canadian PhD programs. Overall, teaching experience may be a positive factor for TA positions, but it is not a determining factor in the application process. What holds more weight is the applicant's academic performance in their previous education.
renewed
I graduated with a Master's degree about a year and a half ago and am considering applying to PhD programs in Canada. During this period, I have been working in a field completely unrelated to my previous education and the PhD programs that I intend to apply. I have mainly been teaching to kids in a developing country, both for money and voluntarily. Does this kind of experience count as positive for Canadian PhD programs? Or, does it in fact hamper my chances?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's most likely neutral.

Teaching experience can be a positive when applying for positions that include a TA, but it's rarely the kind of thing that will make or break an application.

What really matters is your academic performance up until you finished your master's degree.

Related to PhD application after a year and half out of Master's degree

1. Can I apply for a PhD program after being out of my Master's degree for a year and a half?

Yes, you can definitely apply for a PhD program after a year and a half out of your Master's degree. Many universities and programs have a flexible timeline for applicants and do not have strict requirements for the amount of time between degrees.

2. Will my chances of being accepted into a PhD program be affected by the gap between my Master's degree and application?

The gap between your Master's degree and PhD application may affect your chances of being accepted, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your academic achievements, research experience, and letters of recommendation will also be taken into account.

3. Do I need to explain the reason for the gap in my PhD application?

It is not necessary to explain the reason for the gap in your PhD application, but it can be helpful for the admissions committee to have a better understanding of your circumstances. If the gap was due to personal or health reasons, it may be beneficial to mention it in your application.

4. Will my work experience during the gap period be considered in my PhD application?

Your work experience during the gap period can be valuable in your PhD application, especially if it is related to your field of study. Be sure to highlight any relevant skills or experiences in your application materials, such as your resume or personal statement.

5. Is it possible to transfer credits from my Master's degree towards a PhD program after a year and a half?

In some cases, it may be possible to transfer credits from your Master's degree towards a PhD program. However, this is ultimately up to the discretion of the university and program you are applying to. It is best to inquire with the admissions office or program coordinator for more information.