Permutations and Combinations Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of selecting one or more letters from the word "INSIPIDITY" and different methods for finding the solution. The most efficient method is to take into account the different combinations of letters and the independence of each choice. The speaker also expresses difficulty in approaching this type of problem but recognizes the importance of practice and knowing multiple solution methods.
Appleton

Homework Statement

In how many ways is it possible to select one or more letters from those in INSIPIDITY?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial impression was that this was a combinations problem and I did not have to take into account the repetitions. This led me to over-count because I had counted combinations like SIPI multiple times as SI2PI3 and SI1PI4 are indistinguishable. The only method I could think of was for each number of selected letters to add up the mutually exclusive scenarios that constituted it, as follows

1 letter selected: no I involved, 1 I involved
2 letters selected: no I's involved, 1 I involved, 2 I's involved
3 letters selected: no I's involved, 1 I involved, 2 I's involved, 3 I's involved etc.

Apparently ((4+1)(1+1)^6) -1 is a much quicker solution, however I am unable to interpret the logic of this solution. Could someone please explain it to me? Also if anyone could offer some tips on how to tackle these problems I would appreciate it, I have found this to be the most difficult subject I have encountered so far, mainly because there doesn't seem to be a procedure to follow like there was for calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can take (0, 1, 2, 3 or 4) letters "I" -> 4+1 options
You can take (0 or 1) letters "N" -> ...
All those choices are independent of each other.

mainly because there doesn't seem to be a procedure to follow like there was for calculus.
There are always many ways to find a solution, the more ways you know and recognize (needs practice!) the easier it is to find a good one.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the help.

Related to Permutations and Combinations Problem

What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are both ways of arranging objects, but the main difference lies in whether the order of the objects matters. In permutations, the order of objects does matter, while in combinations, the order does not matter.

How do I calculate the number of permutations of a set of objects?

To calculate the number of permutations of a set of n objects, you would use the formula n! (n factorial). For example, if you have a set of 5 objects, the number of permutations would be 5! = 120.

What about combinations? How do I calculate those?

To calculate the number of combinations of a set of n objects, you would use the formula n! / (r!(n-r)!), where r is the number of objects you are choosing. For example, if you have a set of 5 objects and you want to choose 3, the number of combinations would be 5! / (3!(5-3)!) = 10.

Can permutations and combinations be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, permutations and combinations can be applied to real-life situations, such as calculating the number of possible outcomes in a game of cards or determining the number of ways to choose a committee from a group of people. They are also commonly used in mathematics, computer science, and statistics.

Are there any other types of permutations and combinations besides the basic ones?

Yes, there are other types of permutations and combinations, such as circular permutations (where the order of objects in a circle matters), and permutations with repetition (where objects can be repeated in the arrangement). These types may require slightly different formulas for calculation.