Partial Trace For Tripartite Systems

In summary, Bahari is seeking help understanding partial trace for tripartite systems and has found a reference for it after a long day of searching. They have also shared their notes on the topic for others to review and provide feedback on.
baid69
Dear All,

Base on "Problems and Solutions in Quantum Computing and Quantum Information" book I can understand and compute partial trace for bipartite. Now I'm trying to understand partial trace for tripartite system but I still not get good references or equation. Anybody can help me to get the good references or explain about it.

Regards.

Bahari

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear All,

Good to share. After along day, lastly I can find how to compute partial trace for tripartite system. I think, it good for me to share with others so I attach my note for your attention. If any comments or question to improve, you are welcome.

Regards
Bahari

Attachments

• partTr3.pdf
    86.8 KB · Views: 778

Hello Bahari,

Partial trace for tripartite systems is similar to the concept of partial trace for bipartite systems, but it involves tracing out one or more subsystems from a larger system composed of three parts. The resulting reduced density matrix will describe the remaining subsystems and their correlations.

To calculate the partial trace for a tripartite system, one can follow the same steps as for a bipartite system. First, we need to write the density matrix of the tripartite system in terms of its subsystems. For example, if we have a system composed of three qubits, the density matrix can be written as ρ = ρ_A ⊗ ρ_B ⊗ ρ_C, where ρ_A, ρ_B, and ρ_C represent the density matrices of the three qubits respectively.

Next, we need to trace out one or more subsystems from this density matrix. For example, if we want to trace out subsystem C, we can write the partial trace as Tr_C(ρ) = ρ_A ⊗ ρ_B. This means that we are summing over all possible states of subsystem C and keeping the remaining subsystems A and B unchanged.

In general, the partial trace for a tripartite system can be written as Tr_{S}(ρ) = ρ_{S_1} ⊗ ρ_{S_2}, where S represents the subsystems to be traced out and S_1 and S_2 represent the remaining subsystems.

I hope this explanation helps you understand partial trace for tripartite systems better. As for references, you can refer to "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Nielsen and Chuang or "Quantum Information Theory and the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" by Gisin for more detailed discussions on this topic.

Best regards,

Related to Partial Trace For Tripartite Systems

1. What is partial trace for tripartite systems?

Partial trace for tripartite systems is a mathematical operation that allows us to trace out or "ignore" certain variables in a larger quantum system. In other words, it reduces the system to a subsystem by removing information about the ignored variables.

2. How is partial trace for tripartite systems calculated?

The partial trace operation involves taking the trace of a matrix that represents the larger tripartite system, after "tracing out" the variables that we want to ignore. This can be done by summing the diagonal elements of the matrix after removing the corresponding rows and columns.

3. What are the applications of partial trace for tripartite systems?

Partial trace for tripartite systems is commonly used in quantum information theory and quantum computation. It can be used to calculate reduced density matrices, entanglement measures, and to simplify calculations for multi-partite quantum systems.

4. Can partial trace be performed on systems with more than three parties?

Yes, partial trace can be performed on systems with any number of parties. However, the complexity of the calculations increases as the number of parties increases. The notation for partial trace on systems with more than three parties is also different, using the "tensor product" symbol.

5. How does partial trace relate to quantum entanglement?

Partial trace is closely related to quantum entanglement, as it allows us to calculate entanglement measures for subsystems of a larger entangled system. It is also used in determining the amount of entanglement between different parties in a multi-partite system.