Parallel vector, I need a bit of explanation

• I
  • Thread starter lioric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the solution to the given problem involves finding a vector u that, when added to the vector c multiplied by 3 and the vector d, creates a parallel vector to i + 3j. This is achieved by making the ratio of the x and y lengths of the vectors equal, resulting in the need to multiply c by 3. The concept of parallel vectors is based on the idea that they have the same direction, and the factor 3 comes from the ratio of x and y lengths.
lioric
TL;DR Summary
If we are making the vector parallel to i+3j, why do we multiply 3 with the i of the resultant vector ?
Given that c = 3i + 4j and d = i - 2j, find u if uc + d is parallel to i + 3j,

this is the question

in the solution,
it says that we have to multiply the 3 with the i

i do know that this is the ”method“ to do this question but I’d like a bit of explanatio.
I don’t understand why the 3 is multiplied with the i when in the question it says 3j.

thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 03E66D91-94ED-43E9-8892-99A9ADB34CAE.jpeg
    03E66D91-94ED-43E9-8892-99A9ADB34CAE.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
What is the vector ## \mu c + d## in terms of i and j? What does it mean for one vector to be parallel to another?

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes DrClaude
The answer the OP, vectors ai + bj and ci + dj will be parallel if b/a = d/c. So vector ai + bj will be parallel to i + 3j if b = 3a. This is where the factor 3 comes from.

Likes Lnewqban, FactChecker, topsquark and 1 other person
topsquark said:
Hint:
What is the vector ## \mu c + d## in terms of i and j? What does it mean for one vector to be parallel to another?

-Dan
If one vector is parallel that means the direction is the same. In terms of i and j the parallel vectors are always some multiple of the direction

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes FactChecker
DrClaude said:
The answer the OP, vectors ai + bj and ci + dj will be parallel if b/a = d/c. So vector ai + bj will be parallel to i + 3j if b = 3a. This is where the factor 3 comes from.
This speaks to me a lot. If something is parallel, the ratio of x to y lengths should be the same. Thank you very much. It makes so much more sense now.
I’ll propos this thread solved. Thank you all.
i love the way that you teach stuff

Likes Lnewqban, FactChecker and DrClaude