P-V Diagram: Computing Work and Determining Sign of Work

The conversation discusses the computation of work and the question of whether the work is negative or positive, depending on the value of dV. It is mentioned that the pressure, P, is always positive.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Photo9.jpg

I have plotted the info as such

Photo7.jpg

I can compute the work by adding the area of the triangle to the area of the rectangle, but my question is is all of this work negative? It is compressed so I am assuming it is?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Saladsamurai,

Is your book asking for the work done by the gas, or the work done on the gas?

Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

Photo9.jpg

I have plotted the info as such

Photo7.jpg

I can compute the work by adding the area of the triangle to the area of the rectangle, but my question is is all of this work negative? It is compressed so I am assuming it is?

I can't see your diagram while I'm at work, however, based on what you wrote if the dV is negative, then the boundary work will be negative. If the dV is positive, then the boundary work is positive. Remember that P is absolute pressure and is thus always positive.

[tex]W_b = \int_1^2 PdV [/tex]

Like alphysicist eluded to, it may be written as a positive value based on the convention taken.

CS

Related to P-V Diagram: Computing Work and Determining Sign of Work

What is a P-V diagram?

A P-V diagram, or pressure-volume diagram, is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume in a thermodynamic system. It is often used to analyze and understand the behavior of gases and other fluids.

What is the purpose of a P-V diagram?

The P-V diagram is used to visualize and analyze the changes in pressure and volume of a system during a thermodynamic process. It allows scientists and engineers to better understand the behavior of fluids and make predictions about their properties.

How is a P-V diagram constructed?

A P-V diagram is constructed by plotting pressure on the y-axis and volume on the x-axis. The graph is typically divided into regions that correspond to different stages of the thermodynamic process, such as isothermal or adiabatic. The shape of the curve can also provide information about the work done on or by the system.

What are some real-world applications of P-V diagrams?

P-V diagrams are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry to analyze and design systems that involve gases or other fluids. They are also used in the study of engines, refrigeration systems, and other thermodynamic processes.

What are some limitations of P-V diagrams?

P-V diagrams assume ideal gas behavior, which may not accurately represent real-world systems. They also do not take into account factors such as changes in temperature or the presence of external forces. Additionally, P-V diagrams can be complex to interpret and may require additional calculations to fully analyze a system.