Other great books like Mathematical Transition by Chartrand

In summary, the speaker is an electrical engineering student who has a strong interest in mathematics but has not been able to devote much time to advanced topics. They have struggled to find a book that is both informative and engaging in these areas, but have recently found success with "A Mathematical Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Gary Chartrand. They are now seeking recommendations for books on Number Theory, Abstract Algebra, and Topology, and have received suggestions such as "Contemporary Abstract Algebra" by Gallian, "Wade" as an introduction to Analysis, and "Munkres" as the standard for Topology. The speaker plans to read Gallian and Wade before tackling Munkres.
medwatt
Hello,
I was an electrical engineering student and knew how to utilize the necessary mathematical tools to solve anything that came my way.
I always had a deep latent predilection for mathematics but due to some constraints I was unable to spare much time on improving my knowledge of the subject on more advanced matters like topology and abstract algebra. There was a bridge that I couldn't see to make the leap to advanced mathematics, hence my vicissitude in reading books on analysis and topology. I end up every time perusing the preface, authors note, table of contents and the first 15 pages before closing the book and forgetting about it.
I found a book called A Mathematical Transition to Advanced Mathematics by Gary Chartrand. It is so far the best book I have read on mathematics which maybe due to its edifying effects of my long struggles with advanced math textbooks.
I am now looking forward for a book in Number Theory, Abstract Algebra and Topology to deepen my knowledge. I don't want a book too concise as to get one frustrated or full of prolixity as to make one lose his interest.
Thank You

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For Algebra, Gallian's "Contemporary Abstract Algebra" is very readable and has a ton of exercises. Wade is a good introduction for Analysis, and Munkrees is the standard for Topology. Do Gallian and Wade before Munkres.

Related to Other great books like Mathematical Transition by Chartrand

1. What is "Mathematical Transition" by Chartrand about?

"Mathematical Transition" by Chartrand is a textbook that covers topics in mathematical proof writing and problem-solving techniques. It is often used as a supplemental text for introductory mathematics courses.

2. Are there other books similar to "Mathematical Transition" by Chartrand?

Yes, there are many other books that cover similar topics in mathematical proof writing and problem-solving. Some popular titles include "How to Prove It" by Daniel Velleman and "The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs" by Antonella Cupillari.

3. Are the techniques covered in "Mathematical Transition" applicable to all areas of mathematics?

Yes, the techniques covered in "Mathematical Transition" are applicable to many areas of mathematics, including algebra, calculus, and discrete mathematics. However, some areas of mathematics may require more specialized techniques.

4. Is "Mathematical Transition" suitable for self-study?

While "Mathematical Transition" is primarily used as a textbook in a classroom setting, it can also be used for self-study. The book is designed to be accessible to students with a basic understanding of mathematics and includes many practice problems to reinforce the concepts.

5. Can "Mathematical Transition" be used for advanced mathematics courses?

While "Mathematical Transition" is intended for introductory mathematics courses, the techniques and concepts covered can also be useful for more advanced courses. However, it may not cover all the material needed for advanced courses, so it is best to consult with a professor or advisor for additional resources.