Ordering Books about GR: Recommendations and Necessity

• Relativity
  • Thread starter RyanH42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Gr
In summary: Lieber is a good book, but it's not a comprehensive introduction to relativity. If you're interested in cosmology, I recommend reading another book after Lieber.
RyanH42
I will order books about GR.Here what I think
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1589880447/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070379858/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471925675/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I will order these.
Here the extra books which I need recommend.Is these are necessery.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071756035/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071615458/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I am in high school.(Some of members know it)I just want to ask I will order first three books.Is last two books are necessary ?.If you have any extra ideas you can share with me.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
At first I should say that Weinberg's book isn't proper for you. I suggest you read Hartle's instead.
And about the mathematics needed. All GR books I've seen provide the needed mathematics, including Hartle's. So I suggest you to read GR books first and then, when you have an idea about differential geometry and tensor calculus, read the Schaum's books.
An exception to the above is vector analysis. I think its better to read the vector analysis book first so that you have some idea of multicomponent objects.
I should also say that the above applies if you have a good understanding of calculus and Newtonian physics, at least!

EDIT:
Zee's book is very nice too. I think its better to read this. But it depends on your level. Its a bit more advanced than Hartle's but is very pedagogical. So you may want to choose this if you think you can do it.

Last edited:
Likes RyanH42
So I sould read first Vector analysis then The Einstein Theory of Relatvity Dimension then Hartle book then Differantial Geometry then Tensor Calculus ??
Note:Thanks for Hartle book Its fantastic

Last edited:
RyanH42 said:
So I sould read first Vector analysis then The Einstein Theory of Relatvity Dimension then Hartle book then Differantial Geometry then Tensor Calculus ??
I don't think that book by Lieber et.al. is necessary. You may do without it, Hartle is enough.
Also, reading a book specially about differential geometry or tensor calculus is optional. If after reading the GR book, you feel good about everything, you may feel you don't need to read those.
In fact I feel its good for you to read Zee's after Hartle's. It helps you in both physics and math. After that you may want to attack Weinberg's or other advanced books. But its again better to learn some more physics and then read more advanced GR books.
But yes, I think you should first read the vector analysis book.

Likes RyanH42
Thank you

I couldn't found Hartles book.Can I read Lieber instead ?

RyanH42 said:
I couldn't found Hartles book.Can I read Lieber instead ?
Yes!

Personally I like D'Inverno --Introducing Einstein's Relativity. Indeed Hartle is very good too.

Yes... as already mentioned above, don't get Weinberg for the introductionary level.

I'm reading Sean Carroll's book and think it's pretty wonderful. So is Schutz's book.

I ordered Lieber and vector analysis book.They will come in 45 days.I will not order Weinberg book now.When I finish my book,I will start reading Hartle's I guess. I found pdf format of Hartle's but I can't read a book from computer.So I need to fnish these books to order new one.

Everyone has a different learning style.So everyone has a different idea.

I ordered Lieber cause its easy to understant for High school level.I can't bought hartle its too expansive.But I have a idea.I will going to print hartles book.Then I will going to read like that.But I think I need to read first Lieber.

Is Lieber gives enough info about cosmology ? Or should I read another book after Lieber

Related to Ordering Books about GR: Recommendations and Necessity

1. What is "GR" in relation to ordering books?

"GR" stands for General Relativity, a theory in physics that describes the force of gravity and the motion of objects in space.

2. Why do I need recommendations for books about GR?

GR is a complex and challenging subject, and there are many books available on the topic. Recommendations can help you find the most informative and understandable books for your level of understanding.

3. Who should consider ordering books about GR?

Anyone with an interest in physics, astronomy, or the nature of the universe can benefit from reading books about GR. It is also a staple topic for students and researchers in these fields.

4. Can I order books about GR online?

Yes, there are many online retailers and bookstores that offer a wide selection of books about GR. You can also order them directly from publishers or through online marketplaces like Amazon.

5. Are there any particular authors or titles you would recommend for books about GR?

Some highly acclaimed authors in the field of GR include Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, and Kip Thorne. Some popular titles include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. However, the best book for you may depend on your level of understanding and specific interests.