Order of scalar interaction impact Feynman diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the $$\phi^{3}$$ and $$\phi^{4}$$ interactions for scalar fields in Srednicki's book. The generating functional Z[J] is defined and can be evaluated using functional derivatives with respect to J. For any interaction, the interaction lagrangian is replaced with \phi(x) \rightarrow \frac{1}{i}\frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x)} acting on the free generating function. The Lagrangian for \phi^4 theory is \mathcal{L}_1 = \frac{g}{24} \phi(x)^4 and the generating functional is Z[J] = \exp\left( \frac{g}{24}\int
Higgsy
On page 60 of srednicki (72 for online version) for the $$\phi^{3}$$ interaction for scalar fields he defines

$$Z_{1}(J) \propto exp\left[\frac{i}{6}Z_{g}g\int d^{4}x(\frac{1}{i}\frac{\delta}{\delta J})^{3}\right]Z_0(J)$$

Where does this come from? I.e for the quartic interaction does this just become

$$Z_{1}(J) \propto exp\left[\frac{i}{6}Z_{g}g\int d^{4}x(\frac{1}{i}\frac{\delta}{\delta J})^{4}\right]Z_0(J)$$

and for the feynman diagrams the $$\phi ^{3}$$ theory has 3-line vertices whereas the $$\phi^{4}$$ has 4-line vertices? Then how do the feynman diagrams change as we change the order of g?

We define the generating functional,

[tex]
Z[J] = \int \mathcal{D} \phi \exp \left[i \int d^dx \left(\mathcal{L}_0(\phi) + \mathcal{L}_1(\phi) + J(x)\phi(x) \right)\right]
[/tex]

where [itex]\mathcal{L}_0[/itex] is solvable, be which I mean I can write down the "free" generating functional

[tex]
Z_0[J] = \int \mathcal{D} \phi \exp \left[i \int d^dx \left(\mathcal{L}_0(\phi) + J(x)\phi(x) \right)\right]
[/tex]

exactly as an analytic functional of [itex]J(x)[/itex]. In particular, I can take functional derivatives with respect to [itex]J[/itex]. Then by taking derivatives, we can evaluate the following functional integrals:
[tex]
\int \mathcal{D}\phi (\phi(x))^n (\phi(y))^m \cdots \exp \left[i \int d^dx \left(\mathcal{L}_0(\phi) + J(x)\phi(x) \right)\right] = \frac{1}{i}\frac{\delta^n}{\delta \phi(x)^n}\frac{1}{i}\frac{\delta^m}{\delta \phi(y)^m} \cdots Z_0[J].
[/tex]

This is basically already the content of your expression. We assume [itex]e^{\int d^dx\mathcal{L}_0(\phi)}[/itex] is just an analytic function of [itex]\phi[/itex] so that it can be defined by a polynomial power series like the above, and we can formally write
[tex]
Z[J] = \exp\left( \int d^dx \mathcal{L}_1\left( \frac{1}{i}\frac{\delta}{\delta \phi} \right) \right) Z_0[J].
[/tex]

So for ANY interaction, you just replace the interaction lagrangian with [itex]\phi(x) \rightarrow \frac{1}{i}\frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x)}[/itex] acting on the free generating function. The easiest way to deal with [itex]\phi^4[/itex] theory is with the Lagrangian
[tex]
\mathcal{L}_1 = \frac{g}{24} \phi(x)^4
[/tex]
(the factor of 24 will help you later for the same reason the factor of 6 helps you in phi^3 theory). So the generating functional is
[tex]
Z[J] = \exp\left( \frac{g}{24}\int d^dx \left( \frac{1}{i}\frac{\delta}{\delta \phi} \right)^4 \right) Z_0[J].
[/tex]
Then expanding the exponential in powers of [itex]g[/itex] gives you the Feynman expansion.

Related to Order of scalar interaction impact Feynman diagrams

1. What is a scalar in the context of Feynman diagrams?

A scalar is a type of particle that has no spin and only has magnitude, not direction. This means that it does not have a specific orientation in space. Examples of scalars include the Higgs boson and the pion.

2. How do scalar particles interact in Feynman diagrams?

Scalar particles interact through the exchange of virtual particles, such as photons or gluons, which carry the force between them. These interactions can be represented by lines connecting the scalar particles in Feynman diagrams.

3. What is the "order" of scalar interaction impact in Feynman diagrams?

The order of scalar interaction impact refers to the number of virtual particles exchanged between scalar particles in a Feynman diagram. This number corresponds to the strength of the interaction between the particles, with higher order interactions being stronger.

4. How do Feynman diagrams help us understand scalar interactions?

Feynman diagrams provide a visual representation of the interactions between particles, making it easier to understand the complex calculations involved in quantum field theory. They also allow us to predict the likelihood of certain particle interactions and to test the validity of theoretical models.

5. Can Feynman diagrams be used to study other types of interactions?

Yes, Feynman diagrams can be used to study interactions between all types of particles, including fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and gauge bosons (force-carrying particles). They are a powerful tool in particle physics research and have been instrumental in the development of the Standard Model of particle physics.