Optimizing Inductors in Series: How to Code for Mutual Inductance Coupling?

In summary, the problem is that the code does not draw the inductors correctly, but they are still used in the simulation.
mlamey
Does anyone know how to code the following?
I have six inductors in series and would like to couple them to one another.
i.e.
L1 1 2 1u
L2 2 3 1u
L3 3 4 1u
L4 4 5 1u
L5 5 6 1u
L6 6 7 1u

Ideally I'd like to do:
K12 L1 L2 0.3
K23 L2 L3 0.4
K34 L3 L4 0.2
K45 L4 L5 0.5
K56 L5 L6 0.4

But this doesn't work, how do I couple them?
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry it took me a bit to get to this post.

What about it doesn't work? You may just be getting a SPICE error for some other problem, like capacitors hooked in series with no path to ground for the middle node...

What is the exact error?

Hey, thanks for the reply.
The message is along the lines:

The following were ignored:
K12 L1 L2 0.3
K23 L2 L3 0.4
K34 L3 L4 0.2
K45 L4 L5 0.5
K56 L5 L6 0.4

Does that mean it just doesn't draw them (because you really can't), but still uses them in the simulation? I should also point out that I'm using multisim to do the simulation, and have opened the subckt file with it.

mlamey said:
Hey, thanks for the reply.
The message is along the lines:

The following were ignored:
K12 L1 L2 0.3
K23 L2 L3 0.4
K34 L3 L4 0.2
K45 L4 L5 0.5
K56 L5 L6 0.4

Does that mean it just doesn't draw them (because you really can't), but still uses them in the simulation? I should also point out that I'm using multisim to do the simulation, and have opened the subckt file with it.

Well, your syntax still looks right, and I did a quick search and Multisim seems to support coupled inductors (search for "mutual" on this page):

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5416

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe you have a demo version or a limited version of the software, and that is one of the features that is not enabled in that version. Don't know why else it would "ignore" certain valid statements. What version do you have? What does it say when you do Help, About?

It says multisim power pro edition
version 10.0.343

Try Help, Mutual Inductance. Or Help, Coupling...

I've read through, as much of the help menus I could find, before coming here. I'll email multisim and ask them about the problem.
I'm new to SPICE and wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong. At least you've let me know that my syntax was correct.
Thanks for the responses.

Related to Optimizing Inductors in Series: How to Code for Mutual Inductance Coupling?

1. What is spice mutual inductance?

Spice mutual inductance refers to the interaction between two or more mutually coupled inductors in an electrical circuit. It describes how the changing magnetic field generated by one inductor induces a voltage in the other inductor, resulting in a transfer of energy between the two.

2. How does spice mutual inductance affect circuit performance?

Spice mutual inductance can have both positive and negative effects on circuit performance. On one hand, it can be used to create transformers and other components that are crucial for circuit operation. On the other hand, it can also introduce unwanted noise and coupling between different parts of the circuit, leading to instability and other issues.

3. How is spice mutual inductance calculated?

The calculation of spice mutual inductance involves taking into account the physical properties of the inductors (such as number of turns, dimensions, and materials) as well as their relative positions and orientations. This can be done using mathematical equations or through simulation tools like SPICE.

4. Can spice mutual inductance be controlled?

Yes, spice mutual inductance can be controlled by adjusting the physical parameters of the inductors, such as the distance between them, the number of turns, and the materials used. Additionally, techniques such as shielding and grounding can also be used to minimize the effects of mutual inductance.

5. What are some practical applications of spice mutual inductance?

Spice mutual inductance is commonly used in the design of transformers, which are essential components in power supplies and electrical equipment. It is also used in the design of other components such as motors, generators, and oscillators. Additionally, mutual inductance is an important concept in the study of electromagnetic compatibility and interference in electronic circuits.