Operating a spring in both tension and compression

In summary, a spring can be put into compression and tension, but mounting the compression spring correctly is a challenge.
moatra
Most of my physics homework problems have had no problem treating a spring as being able to operate in both compression and tension. However, I now need to find a way to actually implement that for a design project. The general idea is a test bed creating opposing force to test a new actuator. I'd like to put a spring in between the two force creation mechanisms to transfer both compressive and tensile forces, as well as allowing for some slippage in their operation.

Looking at most spring manufacturer's catalogs show a distinct separation between compression and tension springs. Some initial research shows that it wouldn't be advisable to try and weld a standard coil spring due to their high carbon content. I'm currently looking at leaf springs as a possible method since the way they're attached to a car easily allows for transmission of both compressive and tensile forces, but I can't find anywhere if they're actually meant to operate under both conditions. Are they? If not, what spring setup is actually able to operate in both compression and tension?

tl;dr: How to actually use a spring in both compression and tension?

Engineering news on Phys.org
moatra said:
Most of my physics homework problems have had no problem treating a spring as being able to operate in both compression and tension. However, I now need to find a way to actually implement that for a design project. The general idea is a test bed creating opposing force to test a new actuator. I'd like to put a spring in between the two force creation mechanisms to transfer both compressive and tensile forces, as well as allowing for some slippage in their operation.

Looking at most spring manufacturer's catalogs show a distinct separation between compression and tension springs. Some initial research shows that it wouldn't be advisable to try and weld a standard coil spring due to their high carbon content. I'm currently looking at leaf springs as a possible method since the way they're attached to a car easily allows for transmission of both compressive and tensile forces, but I can't find anywhere if they're actually meant to operate under both conditions. Are they? If not, what spring setup is actually able to operate in both compression and tension?

tl;dr: How to actually use a spring in both compression and tension?

Welcome to the PF. I'm an EE, not an ME, so I'm of limited help. I do have to ask the obvous question, though, can you just use two coaxial springs for your setup? A tension spring inside a compression spring, with appropriate mechanical connections made to both at each end?

I think tension springs would usually have U-bends at the ends for making mechanical attachment, like the springs in drum brakes, as shown at this other post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=394960

And compression springs would usually have flat ends, for the same reason. Maybe the main difference between compression and tension springs, is just how they are mechanically finished at the ends, based on how they are used mechanically? (I could be wrong of course)

Fundamentally, there's no reason a spring can't be put into tension and also compression (not at the same time of course). :wink:

For clarification, this is something along the lines of what I had in mind:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. I'm an EE, not an ME, so I'm of limited help. I do have to ask the obvous question, though, can you just use two coaxial springs for your setup? A tension spring inside a compression spring, with appropriate mechanical connections made to both at each end?

(...)

And compression springs would usually have flat ends, for the same reason. Maybe the main difference between compression and tension springs, is just how they are mechanically finished at the ends, based on how they are used mechanically? (I could be wrong of course)

Yes, the only real difference between compression and tension is the finish at the ends. However, that's the problem.

With the coaxial setup, when the system is at rest, the tension spring is at minimum length and the compression spring is at max length. Compressing the two further would cause the tension spring to buckle (Not so good). Extending them further would cause the compression spring to extend (Which is fine), but my problem is that I don't know how to mount the compression spring to transmit a tension force to it.

Q_Goest said:
Fundamentally, there's no reason a spring can't be put into tension and also compression (not at the same time of course). :wink:

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is."
That said, what kind of spring and how would you mount it?

The standard mount for a vehicle's leaf spring looks like it would work for transmitting compression and tension, but are leaf springs meant to be extended as well as compressed?
250px-Leafs1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If your coupling mechanism is selctive, then each spring could function as designed...

The test bed is meant to be operating at forces of up to 250 kN. At that range, I'd rather have a statically connected spring than trying to change out/reconnect springs in the middle of a test.

moatra said:
The test bed is meant to be operating at forces of up to 250 kN. At that range, I'd rather have a statically connected spring than trying to change out/reconnect springs in the middle of a test.

I didn't suggest that you have to change out springs during the test. Make it one assembly.

How about a conventional, closed and ground helical spring? Put U-bolt clamps around the ends to hold it to something like a flat plate.

Related to Operating a spring in both tension and compression

1. How does a spring work in both tension and compression?

A spring works by storing potential energy when it is stretched or compressed. This potential energy is released when the spring returns to its original shape, creating motion.

2. What factors affect the behavior of a spring in both tension and compression?

The behavior of a spring can be affected by its material, size, shape, and the amount of force applied to it. These factors can impact the amount of potential energy stored and the amount of force required to stretch or compress the spring.

3. Can a spring be used in both tension and compression simultaneously?

Yes, a spring can be used in both tension and compression simultaneously as long as the applied forces are within the spring's elastic limit. This means that the spring will return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed.

4. How do you calculate the force needed to stretch or compress a spring?

The force needed to stretch or compress a spring can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. The equation is F=-kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the spring's equilibrium position.

5. How can springs in both tension and compression be used in practical applications?

Springs in both tension and compression are commonly used in many practical applications, such as car suspensions, door hinges, and shock absorbers. They are also used in tools and machines to provide motion and absorb shock or vibrations.