Open and Closed Sets .... Conway, Example 5.3.4 (b) .... ....

In summary, it seems that in order for the Reverse Triangle Inequality to hold, the sequence of points $x$ must move on a straight line from $x$ to $a_n$, but this is not the case in the example given.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading John B. Conway's book: A First Course in Analysis and am focused on Chapter 5: Metric and Euclidean Spaces ... and in particular I am focused on Section 5.3: Open and Closed Sets ...

Conway's Example 5.3,4 (b) reads as follows ... ... View attachment 8938Note that Conway defines open and closed sets as follows:View attachment 8939Now ... in the text of Example 5.3.4 shown above we read the following:

" ... ... the Reverse Triangle Inequality implies \(\displaystyle \mid d(x,a) - d( a_n, a ) \mid \ge d(a_n, x) \ge r\) ... ... "Can someone please explain to me exactly why \(\displaystyle \mid d(x,a) - d( a_n, a ) \mid \ge d(a_n, x) \ge r\) ...

My thoughts on this are as follows ...

It seems to me that the Reverse Triangle Inequality implies \(\displaystyle \mid d(x,a) - d( a_n, a ) \mid \le d(a_n, x)\) ... ?Hope someone can clarify the above issue ...

Peter===================================================================================The above post mentions the Reverse Triangle Inequality ... Conway's statement of that inequality is as follows:View attachment 8940Hope that helps ..

Peter

Attachments

• Conway - Example 5.3.4 ( b)  ... .png
    Conway - Example 5.3.4 ( b) ... .png
    6.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Conway - Defn of Open and Clsed Sets .. .png
    Conway - Defn of Open and Clsed Sets .. .png
    10.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Conway - Reverse Triangle Inequality .png
    Conway - Reverse Triangle Inequality .png
    14.5 KB · Views: 75
Physics news on Phys.org
Conway's statement of the Reverse Triangle Inequality is correct, so I agree with you that it is puzzling how Conway could possibly be using the Reverse Triangle Inequality correctly in the proof. In fact, you can draw yourself a picture as a counter-example to the specific claim you mentioned. Imagine the $\{a_n\}$ sequence is moving out from $x$ towards $a$, but not on the straight line from $x$ to $a$ (and here, just to keep things simple, use the 2D euclidean space). Then the claim that $|d(x,a)-d(a_n,a)|\ge d(a_n,x)$ is false.

I think what Conway is trying to prove is still correct, but it can't be proved that way. Here is an alternative candidate proof (not guaranteed to be correct at all, but maybe it moves in the right direction).

Claim: for any $r>0, B(x; r)$ is open.

Proof: Let $r>0$ and $F=X\setminus B(x;r)=\{y\in X: d(y,x)\ge r\}.$ Let $\{a_n\}\in F$ converge to $a.$ By definition of convergence, $d(a_n,a)\to 0.$ We want to show that $d(x,a)\ge r.$ Suppose, by way of contradiction, that $d(x,a)<r.$ Then there exists $\varepsilon>0$ such that $d(x,a)+\varepsilon<r$ (say, $\varepsilon=(r-d(x,a))/2.$) Now consider the ball $B(a;\varepsilon).$ The idea here is that the $a_n$'s are going to have to get inside that ball, which is not allowed to happen on account of where the $a_n$'s live. Details: because $a_n\to a,$ there exists $N>0$ such that if $n>N,\; d(a_n,a)<\varepsilon.$ But by the Triangle Inequality, $n>N$ implies
$$d(x,a_n)\le d(x,a)+d(a,a_n)< d(x,a)+\varepsilon<r,$$
contradicting that $a_n\in F.$ Therefore, $a\in F,$ making $F$ closed and $B(x;r)$ open.

How does that strike you?

Ackbach said:
Conway's statement of the Reverse Triangle Inequality is correct, so I agree with you that it is puzzling how Conway could possibly be using the Reverse Triangle Inequality correctly in the proof. In fact, you can draw yourself a picture as a counter-example to the specific claim you mentioned. Imagine the $\{a_n\}$ sequence is moving out from $x$ towards $a$, but not on the straight line from $x$ to $a$ (and here, just to keep things simple, use the 2D euclidean space). Then the claim that $|d(x,a)-d(a_n,a)|\ge d(a_n,x)$ is false.

I think what Conway is trying to prove is still correct, but it can't be proved that way. Here is an alternative candidate proof (not guaranteed to be correct at all, but maybe it moves in the right direction).

Claim: for any $r>0, B(x; r)$ is open.

Proof: Let $r>0$ and $F=X\setminus B(x;r)=\{y\in X: d(y,x)\ge r\}.$ Let $\{a_n\}\in F$ converge to $a.$ By definition of convergence, $d(a_n,a)\to 0.$ We want to show that $d(x,a)\ge r.$ Suppose, by way of contradiction, that $d(x,a)<r.$ Then there exists $\varepsilon>0$ such that $d(x,a)+\varepsilon<r$ (say, $\varepsilon=(r-d(x,a))/2.$) Now consider the ball $B(a;\varepsilon).$ The idea here is that the $a_n$'s are going to have to get inside that ball, which is not allowed to happen on account of where the $a_n$'s live. Details: because $a_n\to a,$ there exists $N>0$ such that if $n>N,\; d(a_n,a)<\varepsilon.$ But by the Triangle Inequality, $n>N$ implies
$$d(x,a_n)\le d(x,a)+d(a,a_n)< d(x,a)+\varepsilon<r,$$
contradicting that $a_n\in F.$ Therefore, $a\in F,$ making $F$ closed and $B(x;r)$ open.

How does that strike you?
Your proof looks good to me, Ackbach ...

Thanks for your help on this issue ...

Peter

Peter said:
Your proof looks good to me, Ackbach ...

Thanks for your help on this issue ...

Peter

You're very welcome! It was a fun problem.

Update from Dr. Conway:
Your student is correct and I am not sure why I was trying to work in the reverse triangle inequality. The correct argument is as follows. Using the notation in the book we note that $$r \le d(a_n, x) \le d(a_n, a) + d(a, x) \to d(a, x).$$

Ackbach said:
Update from Dr. Conway:
Your student is correct and I am not sure why I was trying to work in the reverse triangle inequality. The correct argument is as follows. Using the notation in the book we note that $$r \le d(a_n, x) \le d(a_n, a) + d(a, x) \to d(a, x).$$
Peter should get a special award for the number of errors he has found in textbooks!

Related to Open and Closed Sets .... Conway, Example 5.3.4 (b) .... ....

1. What is the difference between an open set and a closed set?

An open set is a set that contains all of its limit points, while a closed set is a set that contains all of its boundary points. In other words, an open set does not include its boundary points, while a closed set does.

2. How are open and closed sets related to topology?

Open and closed sets are fundamental concepts in topology, which is the branch of mathematics that studies the properties of spaces that are preserved under continuous deformations. Topology uses open and closed sets to define the notion of continuity, which is essential in understanding the behavior of continuous functions.

3. Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed. In fact, the empty set and the entire space are both open and closed sets. This is because the empty set does not have any boundary points, and the entire space contains all of its boundary points.

4. How can open and closed sets be used in real-life applications?

Open and closed sets are used in various real-life applications, such as computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis. They are also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze complex systems, such as fluid dynamics and electrical circuits.

5. What is Example 5.3.4 (b) in Conway's book about open and closed sets?

Example 5.3.4 (b) in Conway's book is a specific example that illustrates the concept of open and closed sets. It involves a set of points in the complex plane and shows how the set can be both open and closed, depending on the definition of the boundary points used. This example helps to clarify the sometimes confusing distinction between open and closed sets.