Online degree -> Grad School in the USA

In summary, it is possible to pursue an online degree in applied math or statistics and use it to apply to graduate school in the USA. You can research universities that offer such programs and potentially get recommendation letters from a professor at your local university. Getting involved in research can also improve your grad school application.
Mépris
Online degree --> Grad School in the USA

Hi,

I need a plan B, in case I don't get into the universities I applied to. (highly selective) My local university doesn't have an applied math major nor a stats one and they don't allow double majors. I was wondering if I could do an online degree and with that, apply to grad school. Is that realistic? Getting recommendation letters would be tricky but I know a prof in the Maths department, so maybe I could work something out, try get involved with research?

http://www.unisa.ac.za/_cmsys/default.asp?Cmd=ViewContent&ContentID=1642".

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
, Yes, it is possible to pursue an online degree and use that to apply to graduate school in the United States. Many universities offer online degree programs, and you could research the ones that offer a degree in applied math or statistics that would meet the requirements for graduate school applications. You may also be able to get recommendation letters from the professor you know, as well as other faculty members at your local university. Additionally, you may be able to get involved with research through this professor or others at your local university. Doing research is a great way to demonstrate your interest in your field of study, and can certainly strengthen your grad school application. Good luck!

Related to Online degree -> Grad School in the USA

1. What are the benefits of getting an online degree for grad school in the USA?

Online degrees offer flexibility and convenience for students, allowing them to balance their studies with other commitments. They also often have lower tuition costs compared to traditional on-campus programs. Online degrees also provide access to top-notch faculty and resources from anywhere in the world.

2. Are online degrees for grad school in the USA considered equal to traditional on-campus degrees?

Yes, online degrees from accredited institutions are considered equal to traditional on-campus degrees. As long as the program is accredited, the degree holds the same value and recognition as one earned through traditional means.

3. Can I still work while pursuing an online degree for grad school in the USA?

Yes, many online programs are designed specifically for working professionals and offer flexible schedules. You can also choose to take a break from work while pursuing your degree, but it is not necessary.

4. How do I ensure the quality and credibility of an online degree for grad school in the USA?

It is important to research the accreditation and reputation of the institution offering the online degree. You can also look for reviews and rankings of the program from reputable sources. It is also helpful to reach out to alumni or current students to get their perspectives on the program.

5. Can I transfer credits from an online degree to a traditional graduate program in the USA?

It depends on the policies of the specific institution and program. Some programs may accept transfer credits from online degrees, while others may not. It is best to check with the program you are interested in to determine their transfer credit policies.