∫ of (x^2) from 0 to 2 proof w/o using fundamental therom, but w/ Riemann Sums

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of the function x^2 from 0 to 2 using the true definition involving Riemann Sums without the use of the fundamental theorem. The relevant equations and an example for a similar problem are also provided for further understanding.
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

[tex] \int_0^2 x^2 \, dx [/tex] using true definition involving Riemann Sums (w/o fundamental theorem).

Homework Equations

I don't know what the relevant equations may be, perhaps some type of lim[itex]\sum f(x)(x_{j}-x_{j-1}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt. Just seeking the long proof for it. Would be grateful for any and all clues to where I could find the long solution to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at example 2 here for a similar, but different, example:

http://faculty.eicc.edu/bwood/math150supnotes/supplemental21.html

Last edited by a moderator:
ah thanks, LC, I put that straight to my favorites. I believe that's all I would need to get the concept I'm looking to understand a little better. Appreciate your info.

Related to ∫ of (x^2) from 0 to 2 proof w/o using fundamental therom, but w/ Riemann Sums

1. What is the purpose of finding the integral of (x^2) from 0 to 2 without using the fundamental theorem?

The purpose of finding the integral of (x^2) from 0 to 2 without using the fundamental theorem is to demonstrate an alternative method of calculating integrals using Riemann sums, which can be useful in certain situations where the fundamental theorem may not be applicable.

2. How does the Riemann sum method work for finding integrals?

The Riemann sum method involves dividing the interval [0, 2] into smaller subintervals and approximating the area under the curve by summing the areas of rectangles formed by the function and the subintervals. As the number of subintervals increases, the approximation becomes more accurate and approaches the actual integral value.

3. Can you explain the steps for using Riemann sums to find the integral of (x^2) from 0 to 2?

First, the interval [0, 2] must be divided into equal subintervals of width Δx. Then, the midpoint of each subinterval is determined and used as the x-value for calculating the height of the rectangle. The area of each rectangle is then calculated by multiplying the height by Δx. Finally, the areas of all the rectangles are summed to approximate the integral value.

4. What are the limitations of using Riemann sums to find integrals?

One limitation of using Riemann sums is that it can be time-consuming and tedious to calculate the areas of multiple rectangles, especially for functions that are not easily represented by simple geometric shapes. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of subintervals used, so it may not always provide an exact result.

5. Can the Riemann sum method be used for all types of functions?

No, the Riemann sum method may not be applicable for all types of functions. It is most commonly used for continuous functions, and may not provide accurate results for functions with discontinuities or infinite discontinuities. In such cases, other methods of integration may be more suitable.