ODE with Laplace Transform: Solving for Y(s) and Partial Fraction Expansion

In summary, the solution to the given ODE is obtained by taking the Laplace of both sides and isolating Y(s) to get (e-2s + 1)/s(s2 + 4). Using partial fraction expansion, the solution is (1/4)(1 − cos 2t) + (1/4)(1 − cos 2(t − 2))u(t − 2). However, the given solution only satisfies part of the equation, and the missing term is (1/4)cos2t.
bosox09

Homework Statement

The solution to the ODE y''(t) + 4y(t) = 1 + u(t − 2), y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 0 is given by...

The Attempt at a Solution

OK well I figured this one is good to solve with Laplace transforms. So I took the Laplace of both sides to obtain (s2 + 4)Y(s) = [e-2s/s] + 1/s, which equals (e-2s + 1)/s. Isolating Y(s) gave me (e-2s + 1)/s(s2 + 4). I used partial fraction expansion to obtain (1/4) - (1/4)cos2t, but this is apparently only half of the whole answer, given as (1/4)(1 − cos 2t) + (1/4)(1 − cos 2(t − 2))u(t − 2). What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you expanding in partial fractions? What expansion did you get? In particular shat happened to the [itex]e^{-2s}[/itex]? It's very easy to see that [tex]y= \frac{1}{4}(1- cos(2t))[/tex] satisfies y"+ 4y= 1, y(0)= 0, y'(0)= 0, not the equation you have.

Related to ODE with Laplace Transform: Solving for Y(s) and Partial Fraction Expansion

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE or ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves a single independent variable and one or more dependent variables, and it represents a wide range of physical, biological, and economic phenomena.

2. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical technique that is used to solve differential equations. It transforms a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to solve complex differential equations.

3. How does the Laplace transform help in solving ODEs?

The Laplace transform reduces an ODE to a simpler algebraic equation in the frequency domain, which can be solved using standard algebraic methods. This makes it easier to find the solution to the original ODE in the time domain.

4. What are the advantages of using Laplace transform for ODEs?

The Laplace transform provides a systematic and efficient method for solving ODEs without the need for integration. It also allows for the solution of a wider range of ODEs, including those with discontinuous or impulsive forcing functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transform for ODEs?

Yes, the Laplace transform is only applicable to linear ODEs with constant coefficients. It also requires initial conditions to be known and cannot be used for solving boundary value problems. Additionally, the inverse Laplace transform may not have a closed-form solution, requiring the use of numerical methods for its computation.