Oddly Formatted Second Order ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a multiple choice problem involving a second derivative and the constant omega. The correct solution involves using the characteristic equation and finding a particular solution with the form A*cos(wt) + B*sin(wt). However, there were errors in differentiating and distributing the omega constant, leading to an incorrect solution. The correct solution is y = c1ew0t + c2e-w0t + (cos(wt))/(w02).
checkmatechamp

Homework Statement

u'' + w20*u = cos(wt)

w refers to omega.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin on this. For starters, it's a multiple choice problem, and all the answers are given in terms of y, so I'm not sure if u is supposed to replace y' or something.

Second of all, even if I start solving it, trying to use r2 + 1*w20 = 0, and then getting that r = w0, where do I go from there? I have a general solution of y = c1ew0t + c2e-w0t

So then I say that the particular solution has to have the form A*cos(wt) + B*sin(wt), and the second derivative is -A*cos(wt) - B*sin(wt)

So then A*cos(wt) - B*sin(wt) + w02*A*cos(wt) + B*sin(wt) = cos(wt)

So then A*cos(wt) + w02*A*cos(wt) = 1*cos(wt)

So then that gets me that A + w02*A = 1, and A = 1/(w02)

The sine terms cancel (and there's no sine in the solution anyway)

So then I have y = c1ew0t + c2e-w0t + (cos(wt))/(w02).

The closest choice I see is c1*cos(w0t) + c2*sin(w0t) + (cos(wt))/w02, and that choice is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
checkmatechamp said:

Homework Statement

u'' + w20*u = cos(wt)

w refers to omega.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin on this. For starters, it's a multiple choice problem, and all the answers are given in terms of y, so I'm not sure if u is supposed to replace y' or something.

Second of all, even if I start solving it, trying to use r2 + 1*w20 = 0, and then getting that r = w0, where do I go from there? I have a general solution of y = c1ew0t + c2e-w0t
##r=\omega_0## isn't a solution. Plugging it into the characteristic equation would give you ##2\omega_0^2 = 0##, which isn't true in general.

So then I say that the particular solution has to have the form A*cos(wt) + B*sin(wt), and the second derivative is -A*cos(wt) - B*sin(wt)

So then A*cos(wt) - B*sin(wt) + w02*A*cos(wt) + B*sin(wt) = cos(wt)
You didn't differentiate correctly, you dropped a sign, and you made an algebra errors distributing ##\omega_0^2##.

So then A*cos(wt) + w02*A*cos(wt) = 1*cos(wt)

So then that gets me that A + w02*A = 1, and A = 1/(w02)

The sine terms cancel (and there's no sine in the solution anyway)

So then I have y = c1ew0t + c2e-w0t + (cos(wt))/(w02).

The closest choice I see is c1*cos(w0t) + c2*sin(w0t) + (cos(wt))/w02, and that choice is wrong.

Related to Oddly Formatted Second Order ODE

What is an "Oddly Formatted Second Order ODE"?

An "Oddly Formatted Second Order ODE" is a type of second order ordinary differential equation (ODE) that does not follow the typical format of y'' = F(x,y,y'). Instead, it may have unusual or non-standard terms, coefficients, or functions involved.

What makes an "Oddly Formatted Second Order ODE" different from a regular second order ODE?

The main difference between an "Oddly Formatted Second Order ODE" and a regular second order ODE is the non-typical format. Regular second order ODEs follow a standard form of y'' = F(x,y,y'), making them easier to solve and analyze. "Oddly Formatted Second Order ODEs" can be more challenging to solve due to their unusual format.

How can I solve an "Oddly Formatted Second Order ODE"?

Solving an "Oddly Formatted Second Order ODE" requires a combination of mathematical techniques and problem-solving skills. Depending on the specific format of the ODE, different methods such as substitution, separation of variables, or integrating factors may be used. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and try different approaches to find the solution.

What are some examples of "Oddly Formatted Second Order ODEs"?

Some examples of "Oddly Formatted Second Order ODEs" include equations with non-standard functions such as trigonometric or exponential functions, equations with non-standard coefficients, and equations with unusual terms such as higher-order derivatives. A specific example would be y'' + sin(x)y = 0.

Why are "Oddly Formatted Second Order ODEs" important in science?

"Oddly Formatted Second Order ODEs" are important in science because they can arise in various real-world problems and phenomena. By being able to solve these equations, scientists can gain a better understanding of complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. They also provide a challenge for mathematicians to develop new techniques and approaches to solving differential equations.