O"Proving a Trig Identity: Sec^6x-Tan^6x = 1+3Sec^2xTan^2x | Tips & Tricks

In summary, the LHS of the given equation can be changed into the RHS by factoring and using trigonometric identities. The final step involves expanding (tan^2x+1)^3 and simplifying to get 1+3sec^2x tan^2x, which is equal to the RHS.
happyg1

Homework Statement

Show that the LHS can be changed into the RHS.
[tex] sec^6 x-tan^6x=1+3sec^2x tan^2x[/tex]

Homework Equations

Trig identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried factoring the LHS:
[tex](sec^2-tan^2)(sec^4+sec^2tan^2+tan^4)[/tex]
[tex]sec^2-tan^2=1[/tex] so that leaves me with the other thing in the parentheses. I have tried using the Pythagorean identities on sec^2 and tan^2, I have broken up the sec^4 into sec^2*sec^2...

I just am not getting anywhere.
Pointers would be nice.
CC

Physics news on Phys.org
i get the RHS le.
try (tan²x+1)³ - tan^6 x
then you expand.
Cheers:smile:

i will be offline , i shall leave the ans in the spoiler (:

next step:
3tan²x+3tan^4 x +1
next:
1+3tan²x(tan²x+1)
Finally:
1+3sec²tan²x
=RHS(shown)

Last edited:
I got it easily after the first hint. Thanks! I had been staring at it too long to see another way.

Related to O"Proving a Trig Identity: Sec^6x-Tan^6x = 1+3Sec^2xTan^2x | Tips & Tricks

1. How do I start proving a trig identity?

To begin proving a trig identity, you should always start with the side of the equation that appears more complex. In this case, we should start with the left side of the equation: Sec^6x-Tan^6x.

2. What is the first step in proving this identity?

The first step in proving this identity is to use the Pythagorean identity, which states that Sec^2x = 1+Tan^2x. We will use this identity to simplify the expression on the left side of the equation.

3. Can you walk me through the steps of proving this identity?

Sure! First, we will use the Pythagorean identity to rewrite the left side of the equation as: (1+Tan^2x)^3 - Tan^6x. Then, we will expand the first term using the binomial theorem, giving us: 1+3Tan^2x+3Tan^4x+Tan^6x - Tan^6x. We can then cancel out the last two terms, leaving us with 1+3Tan^2x+3Tan^4x on the left side.

4. How do we simplify further?

Next, we can factor out a Tan^2x from the remaining terms, giving us: 1+Tan^2x(3+3Tan^2x). We can then use the Pythagorean identity again to simplify the second term to Sec^2x, giving us: 1+Tan^2x(3+3Sec^2x). Finally, we can use the Pythagorean identity one more time to simplify the second term to 3Sec^2xTan^2x. This gives us the final result of 1+3Sec^2xTan^2x on the left side of the equation, which matches the right side and proves the identity.

5. Do you have any tips or tricks for proving trig identities?

Yes, one helpful tip is to always look for opportunities to use the Pythagorean identity, as we did in this proof. Additionally, it can be helpful to work backwards from the more complex side of the equation and simplify it step by step until it matches the other side. It's also important to practice and familiarize yourself with common trig identities to make the process easier.