Nyquist frequency and sampling frequency

In summary, the given equations, N= 2fs/flowest and fs/2 - fs/N, are used for discrete sampling and analysis of time varying signals. The term "lowest" may refer to the lowest alias frequency, which can have two different meanings depending on the sampling frequency. One authoritative source may have copied an error from the other regarding aliasing.
pinkcashmere

Homework Statement

##N= \frac{2 f_s}{f_{lowest}}####\frac{f_s}{2} - \frac{f_s}{N}##

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I have these equations listed on a formula sheet but I do not know what they are used for. It is from a chapter titled "Discrete Sampling and Analysis of Time Varying Signals". Can someone explain what these would be used for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your textbook, perhaps ? Or your notes ?

Hi pinkcashmere,
This is a topic I know nothing about, so I tried to brush it up from the net.
Couldn't find anything that squared with that equation or that expression. I felt perhaps the "lowest" was a reference to the lowest alias frequency, but couldn't get that to work.
I did notice that two authoritative looking pages were somewhat confused regarding aliasing. Looks like one copied extracts from the other and copied the error. Seems to me the term alias frequency can mean two slightly different things:
- where the sampling frequency is more than double the actual frequency, it is a higher frequency that produce the same samples.
- where the sampling frequency is less than that, it is that frequency less than half the sampling frequency that would produce the observed samples.
The error is that the text discusses aliasing as though it refers to the first case, then shows a folding diagram illustrating the second case.

Related to Nyquist frequency and sampling frequency

1. What is Nyquist frequency?

Nyquist frequency, also known as the Nyquist rate, is the highest frequency that can be accurately represented in a digital signal. It is named after Harry Nyquist, a Swedish-American engineer and physicist who first defined it in the 1920s.

2. How is Nyquist frequency related to sampling frequency?

Nyquist frequency is exactly half of the sampling frequency. In other words, the sampling frequency must be at least twice the highest frequency present in the signal in order to avoid aliasing, which is the distortion that occurs when the sampling rate is too low.

3. What happens if the sampling frequency is lower than the Nyquist frequency?

If the sampling frequency is lower than the Nyquist frequency, aliasing will occur. This means that the higher frequencies in the signal will be misrepresented as lower frequencies, resulting in a distorted signal.

4. How does the Nyquist frequency affect the quality of digital audio?

The Nyquist frequency is crucial in maintaining the quality of digital audio. If the sampling rate is too low, it can result in poor sound quality and distortions. However, using a sampling rate that is higher than the Nyquist frequency does not necessarily improve the quality of the audio.

5. Is there a standard sampling frequency and Nyquist frequency for all digital audio?

No, the appropriate sampling frequency and Nyquist frequency can vary depending on the type of audio being digitized. For example, the standard sampling rate for CD quality audio is 44.1 kHz, while the standard sampling rate for DVD audio is 48 kHz. It is important to choose the appropriate sampling rate and Nyquist frequency for the specific application to ensure accurate representation of the signal.