Number of paths that can be taken

• Thread starter Punkyc7
  • Start date
In summary, we want to count the paths from point A to point B in the given diagram. There are 10 different paths we could take, and at most we could only take 4 steps. For number 2, there are either 4C3 or 5C3 paths. For number 3, there are 7C3 paths in the non-shaded region and (8C4)/2 paths in the shaded region. However, this does not equal the 10C4 paths mentioned before.
Punkyc7
In this problem we want to count the paths that go from point A to point B in the following diagram, moving along the lines and in each step moving either one unit down or one unit to the right.

In the picture the boxes should be evenly spaced.
1.) The number of paths is___________________

2.) How many paths are there that include no two consecutive downward move?

3.) How many paths are there that do not enter the orange region? For number one I was thinking that there are 10 different paths we could take and at most we could only take 4 so I'm thinking it 10C4.

For number 2 I was thinking that it is going to be something like 4C3 or 5C3 but I am not sure.

For number 3 I decided to break it up into the shaded region and the none shaded region. For the none shaded region I think there is 7C3 paths and for the shaded I think there (8C4)/2. I don't think that is right because 7C3 +8C4 does not equal 10C4 that I said for one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Triangle.jpg
    Triangle.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
of what?

Sorry about that I hit enter after the title thinking it would go down to the next text box

Related to Number of paths that can be taken

1. How is the number of paths that can be taken determined?

The number of paths that can be taken is determined by the number of choices or decisions that can be made at each step or junction of a given path. Each choice or decision doubles the number of possible paths, resulting in an exponential growth.

2. Can the number of paths that can be taken be calculated for any situation?

Yes, the number of paths that can be taken can be calculated for any situation that involves multiple choices or decisions. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is often used in various fields of study such as computer science, statistics, and business.

3. What is the significance of knowing the number of paths that can be taken?

Knowing the number of paths that can be taken allows us to determine the probability of reaching a certain outcome or goal. It also helps in decision-making and problem-solving by providing a clear understanding of all the possible options.

4. Can the number of paths that can be taken change?

Yes, the number of paths that can be taken can change depending on the situation. For example, in a maze, the number of paths that can be taken may increase as you discover new paths or decrease as you reach dead ends.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the concept of number of paths that can be taken?

Yes, the concept of number of paths that can be taken is applicable in various real-life scenarios such as route planning, decision-making processes, and game theory. It is also used in research and development of algorithms for optimization and problem-solving.