Nuclear physics interesting experiments and activities

In summary, the conversation suggests different activities for teaching nuclear physics in high school, such as building a cloud chamber, simulating radioactive decay with dice, and using a Geiger Counter to detect low levels of radiation from everyday objects. The use of theoretical expressions for radioactive decay is also mentioned as a way to compare and understand the data collected from the activities.
tinocasals
Hi there,

I'm looking for some interesting activities regarding nuclear physics in high school.

I already have:
- building a cloud chamber with dry ice or peltier modules
- simulating radioactive decay with dice
- simulating Rutherford's experiment hitting with glass marbles a hidden target and trying to figure out the shape

Any fun/didactic/interesting/innovative idea?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
I find the idea of radioactive decay attractive because simulating it is quite inexpensive. I wouldn't use dice, though, but a lot of pennies. Heads is an undecayed nucleus and tails a decayed nucleus. You put all the coins in pile "A" and flip them all at once, then remove the decayed nuclei (tails) into a separate pile marked "B". This marks one half-life of the parent nucleus. You count the coins in each pile an plot them in separate plots. Now the nuclei in daughter B are also unstable with a half-life of, say, twice that of B and decay to C which is stable. This means that for every two tosses of the A pile, you toss the B pile once. Naturally, the B coins that land tails must be moved to the C pile. Students make a plot of the coins in each pile as a function of the half-life intervals of A. There should be a maximum in the number of coins in B because the B half-life is longer than the A. Students can play around with the ratio of half-lives and see what happens when is much larger or smaller than the other. They might even make C unstable and add decay product D. It would also be fun to compare against the theoretical expressions for ##N(t)##,
$$N_A(t)=N_0 e^{-\lambda_At};~~N_B(t)= \frac{\lambda_AN_0}{\lambda_B-\lambda_A} \left( e^{-\lambda_At}-e^{-\lambda_Bt} \right);~~N_C(t)=\frac{N_0}{\lambda_B-\lambda_A} \left[ (\lambda_B-\lambda_A)+\lambda_Ae^{-\lambda_Bt}-\lambda_Be^{-\lambda_At} \right],$$
where ##\lambda=ln2/t_{1/2}##.

Likes berkeman
tinocasals said:
Hi there,

I'm looking for some interesting activities regarding nuclear physics in high school.

I already have:
- building a cloud chamber with dry ice or peltier modules
- simulating radioactive decay with dice
- simulating Rutherford's experiment hitting with glass marbles a hidden target and trying to figure out the shape

Any fun/didactic/interesting/innovative idea?

Thanks!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Do you have a Geiger Counter in your lab equipment stock? We had one at my small high school, and it was pretty fun and instructive to use. Nowadays you can even get inexpensive USB and Cell Phone versions:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FTl...-Radiation-checker-more-safe/32627825778.html
cable-Radiation-Dosimeter-Nuclear-Radiation-Detector-portable-gamma-x-ray-radiactive.jpg_640x640.jpg

Attachments

• cable-Radiation-Dosimeter-Nuclear-Radiation-Detector-portable-gamma-x-ray-radiactive.jpg_640x640.jpg
    cable-Radiation-Dosimeter-Nuclear-Radiation-Detector-portable-gamma-x-ray-radiactive.jpg_640x640.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 994
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Do you have a Geiger Counter in your lab equipment stock? We had one at my small high school, and it was pretty fun and instructive to use. Nowadays you can even get inexpensive USB and Cell Phone versions:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FTl...-Radiation-checker-more-safe/32627825778.html
View attachment 218879

I have some uranium glass, a smoke detector... Do you know if the Cell phone version would give signal above the background for low radioactive materials?

tinocasals said:
I have some uranium glass, a smoke detector... Do you know if the Cell phone version would give signal above the background for low radioactive materials?
I don't know without reading more about it. Maybe you could look at its datasheet and compare the numbers to what you find from Google searches about your samples. And it's probably a good idea to look at the datasheets for several different Geiger Counter types and models, to see if they are a lot more sensitive (does sensitivity ratio with cost significantly?).

Or have your students do it as an exercise... :smile:

Likes tinocasals

Related to Nuclear physics interesting experiments and activities

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei, their interactions, and the processes that involve changes in nuclear energy.

2. What are some interesting experiments in nuclear physics?

Some interesting experiments in nuclear physics include the Rutherford gold foil experiment, the discovery of the neutron, and the discovery of radioactivity by Marie Curie.

3. What are some activities that demonstrate nuclear physics principles?

Some activities that demonstrate nuclear physics principles include building a cloud chamber to observe cosmic rays, performing a fission or fusion reaction using common materials, and using a Geiger counter to detect radiation.

4. What are the potential applications of nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics has many potential applications, including nuclear energy production, medical imaging and treatments, industrial and agricultural processes, and materials testing and analysis.

5. What are some current areas of research in nuclear physics?

Current areas of research in nuclear physics include nuclear fusion as a potential source of clean energy, the development of advanced nuclear reactors, and the study of exotic nuclear states and particles.