'nothing' happened before the big bang?

• Thread starter varsha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the big bang and the idea of the universe expanding because of it. The speaker expresses their curiosity about what caused the big bang and shares their belief that the interaction of particles and anti-particles may have caused it. However, the conversation also acknowledges the difficulty in fully understanding and testing theories about the big bang. The conversation concludes with the realization that the mystery of the big bang is still deeply complex and may never have a definitive answer.
varsha
from when i was 10-11 years old, i have been told that there was a big bang and the universe has been expanding because of it. but my curiosity grew and wanted to know what caused it. but i was surprised to know that 'nothing' happened before the big bang. as i know there is a cause for everything. but the big bang dosen't. i 'think' that the interaction of the particles and their antiparticles caused the annihilation which we call 'big bang'.(please correct me if i have not used the right terms or if it dosen't make sence. I'm 14 and am still learning.)
please tell me what you think caused the big bang. your views.

Space news on Phys.org
It's certainly an interesting question varsha! :smile:

However, there's pretty close to nothing - that I'm aware of - which you (or anyone on Earth) could do, today, with the technology we have (and the physics we've given gold stars to) that could seriously test anyone's ideas of any time 'before' the first Planck second (approx 10-43 of our ordinary seconds).

As to your idea about particle and anti-particle annihilation, well, the universe almost certainly went through a period when that happened (at least for the kinds of particles and anti-particles we know about), but it was well after the BB.

The big bang certainly is a mystery. Just getting there - much less 'peeking' behind the Planck wall - is enormously difficult, as Nereid noted. You may find this interesting:

A Universe from Nothing
http://www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/31_02/nothing.html

it was interesting... I'm sort of getting this feeling... either the universe came from nothing or there is some key to this which is very deep. it's like how a simple question like what made the apple fall?, had such a huge answer...

Last edited:

Related to 'nothing' happened before the big bang?

1. What was there before the big bang?

This is a difficult question to answer because the concept of "before" the big bang is not well-defined. The big bang is thought to be the beginning of our universe, so there was no time or space before it. It is possible that our universe is just one of many that have existed, or that there was some other state of existence before the big bang, but we currently have no way of knowing for sure.

2. Did time and space exist before the big bang?

Similar to the first question, the idea of time and space before the big bang is not well-defined. Time and space are thought to have been created during the big bang, so it is difficult to imagine anything existing before that. However, some theories suggest that there may have been a state of existence before the big bang, but we currently have no way of confirming this.

3. Was there any form of matter or energy before the big bang?

Again, the concept of "before" the big bang is difficult to grasp since it marks the beginning of our universe. However, some theories suggest that there may have been a state of existence before the big bang that was made up of different forms of matter and energy. It is also possible that our current understanding of matter and energy may not apply to the time before the big bang.

4. How did the big bang happen if there was nothing before it?

This question goes back to the concept of time and space before the big bang. Since time and space were created during the big bang, it is difficult to imagine how the event could have happened without anything existing before it. Some theories suggest that the big bang was not a singular event, but rather part of a larger cycle of expansion and contraction of the universe.

5. Will we ever know what happened before the big bang?

At this point in time, it is impossible to say for sure if we will ever know what happened before the big bang. However, scientists continue to study and develop theories about the origins of the universe, so it is possible that we may one day have a better understanding of what happened before the big bang. It is also possible that the concept of "before" the big bang may not even make sense in the context of our current understanding of the universe.