Normalisation of associated Laguerre polynomials

In summary, there are two different normalisation conditions for associated Laguerre polynomials. One is used in the context of Schroedinger's equation in spherical coordinates, while the other is a more general form. Both can be evaluated using the generating function of the associated Laguerre polynomials.
bdforbes
I'm looking right now at what purports to be the normalisation condition for the associated Laguerre polynomials:

[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-x}x^k L_n^k(x)L_m^k(x)dx=\frac{(n+k)!}{n!}\delta_{mn}[/tex]

However, in the context of Schroedinger's equation in spherical coordinates, I find that my normalisation integral has a different form:

[tex]|N|^2\int_0^\infty (\alpha r)^l e^{-\alpha r}[L_{n-l-1}^{2l+1}(\alpha r)]^2 r^2 dr=1[/tex]

I understand that I can evaluate this integral using the generating function of the associated Laguerre polynomials, but I'm a bit confused about why there are two forms for normalisation. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hey still need help on that?

No thanks I figured it out.

Related to Normalisation of associated Laguerre polynomials

What are associated Laguerre polynomials and why are they important?

Associated Laguerre polynomials are a special type of mathematical function that are used to solve problems related to quantum mechanics, particularly in the study of atomic and molecular systems. They are important because they can accurately describe the behavior of electrons within these systems.

What is the process of normalisation for associated Laguerre polynomials?

The process of normalisation for associated Laguerre polynomials involves scaling the polynomial function in such a way that the area under the curve is equal to 1. This is done to ensure that the integral of the polynomial is a probability distribution, which is essential for its use in quantum mechanics.

Why is normalisation necessary for associated Laguerre polynomials?

Normalisation is necessary for associated Laguerre polynomials because they are used to describe the probability distribution of electrons in quantum mechanical systems. By ensuring that the integral of the polynomial is equal to 1, we can accurately calculate the probability of finding an electron in a specific location within the system.

What are some applications of normalised associated Laguerre polynomials?

Normalised associated Laguerre polynomials have a wide range of applications in quantum mechanics, including the study of atomic and molecular systems, as well as in the field of spectroscopy. They are also used in other areas of physics, such as in the study of electromagnetic fields and wave equations.

What are the properties of normalised associated Laguerre polynomials?

Normalised associated Laguerre polynomials have several important properties, including orthogonality, recursion, and completeness. These properties make them useful for solving a variety of mathematical problems in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics.