Normalisation constant expansion of spinor field

In summary, the normalisation constant in the wave packet solution to the Dirac equation is 1/2E, which is not what is traditionally thought of as the normalisation constant. This might be the reason why the expression with 1/2E has a 4D Fourier transform instead of a 3D transform.
Josh1079
Hi, I'm reading about the wave packet solution to the dirac equation but in the book I'm reading it states that [tex]\int \frac {d^3p} {(2\pi)^3 2E} [a u e^{-ipx} + b^\dagger \bar{v} e^{ipx}[/tex]

The normalisation constant confuses me. I guess the 2pi^3 is reasonalbe. However, the 1/2E seems a bit weird to me. I thought it should always be something of the order of (-1/2) of E. Did I misunderstand something about the normalisation?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Josh1079 said:
Hi, I'm reading about the wave packet solution to the dirac equation but in the book I'm reading it states that [tex]\int \frac {d^3p} {(2\pi)^3 2E} [a u e^{-ipx} + b^\dagger \bar{v} e^{ipx}[/tex]

The normalisation constant confuses me. I guess the 2pi^3 is reasonalbe. However, the 1/2E seems a bit weird to me. I thought it should always be something of the order of (-1/2) of E. Did I misunderstand something about the normalisation?

Thanks!

This might be the reason:

• Start with a 4-D Fourier transform: [itex]\int d^4 p A(p_\mu) u e^{- i p_\mu x^\mu}[/itex]
  • Realize that the only values of [itex]p_\mu[/itex] that can contribute satisfy: [itex](p_0)^2 - \vec{p}^2 - m^2 = 0[/itex] (ignoring factors of [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]\hbar[/itex])
  • This implies that [itex]A(p_\mu)[/itex] has the form [itex]a(\vec{p}) \delta((p_0)^2 - \vec{p}^2 - m^2)[/itex]
  • Just a fact about the delta-function: [itex]\int dx Q(x) \delta(f(x)) = \frac{Q(x_0)}{f'(x_0)}[/itex] where [itex]x_0[/itex] is a zero of [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]f'(x)[/itex] means the derivative of [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]x[/itex]. (If [itex]f(x)[/itex] has multiple zeros, then there is a term like that for each zero)
  • So if we let [itex]E[/itex] be the value of [itex]p_0[/itex] satisfying [itex](p_0)^2 - \vec{p}^2 - m^2 = 0[/itex], then integrating over [itex]dp_0[/itex] gives: [itex]\frac{1}{\frac{d}{dp_0}( (p_0)^2 - \vec{p}^2 - m^2)} = \frac{1}{2 p_0} = \frac{1}{2E}[/itex]

Likes dextercioby
Hi stevendaryl, thanks for the reply! I think I roughly understand what your writing and it seems reasonable. There is just one more question that I'm a bit curious about. So are you trying to say that the reason why there is a factor 1/2E in the expression is because it's doing a 4D Fourier transform? Does this mean that the expressions with 1/√(2E) is doing a 3D Fourier transform? I'm also a bit curious about the difference.

Thanks!

Related to Normalisation constant expansion of spinor field

1. What is a normalisation constant?

A normalisation constant is a mathematical factor used to scale a function or equation to ensure that it satisfies certain conditions, such as having a total probability of 1 or being bounded within a certain range.

2. What is the expansion of a spinor field?

The expansion of a spinor field is a mathematical representation of a spinor, which is a mathematical object used to describe the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It involves breaking down the spinor into its individual components and expressing them in terms of basis vectors.

3. What is the purpose of normalisation in spinor field expansion?

The purpose of normalisation in spinor field expansion is to ensure that the components of the spinor are properly scaled so that they can accurately represent the physical properties of a particle. This is essential in quantum mechanics, where spinors are used to describe the properties of particles at the subatomic level.

4. How is the normalisation constant calculated in spinor field expansion?

The normalisation constant is typically calculated by integrating the square of the spinor over all space and then taking the square root of the result. This ensures that the spinor satisfies the condition of having a total probability of 1.

5. What are the consequences of not properly normalising a spinor field?

If a spinor field is not properly normalised, it can lead to incorrect predictions about the properties and behavior of particles. This can have significant consequences in the field of quantum mechanics, where accurate predictions are crucial for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.