Normal modes and system's energy

In summary, the energy of a system can be expressed as the sum of the energies of its normal modes due to the orthogonal nature of these modes. This is because any motion of the system can be represented as a linear combination of these modes, and the strain and kinetic energies are only non-zero when the same mode is used in both expressions. While the mathematical proof for this may be complex, it is an important concept in engineering and can often be assumed or demonstrated through numerical examples.
Tosh5457
Hi, why does the energy of the system equals the sum of the energy of the modes? The book I'm reading only states it, it doesn't prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The motion/excitation/configuration of a system, whatever it is (you don't say), can always be expressed as a sum of normal modes. An example: lift a guitar string at one point so the string displacement is triangular, and let go. Subsequent motion is extremely complicated, but it can be expressed as a sum of sinusoidal displacements at the fundamental and harmonic frequencies that are relatively easy to predict from a Fourier decomposition of the initial triangular excitation. Since the normal mode expansion describes the "actual" displacement, the sum of its energies equals the total energy of the system.

The matiematical reason is that the mode shapes are orthogonal. If ##x_i## amd ##x_j## are two different modes (## i \ne j##), then ##x_i^TMx_j = 0## and ##x_i^TKx_j = 0## where ##M## and ##K## are the system mass and stiffness matrices.

You can express any motion of the system as a linear combination of all the modes, i.e.
$$x = \sum_i a_i x_i.$$ So the total strain energy of the system is
$$x^T K x/2 = (\sum_i a_ix_i)^T K (\sum_j a_j x_j)/2
= \sum_i\sum_j (a_ia_jx_i^T K x_j)/2 = \sum_i (a^2_i x_i^T K x_i)/2$$because the only non-zero terms are when ##i = j##. The same is true for the kinetic energy.

The math proof that the modes are orthogonal requires quite a bit of linear algebra, and may be just assumed, or demonstrated by a numerical example, in a first course in dynamics. For practical engineering work, knowing the result is true is a lot more important than knowing how to prove it!

AlephZero said:
The math proof that the modes are orthogonal requires quite a bit of linear algebra...

It's easy to show this for the special case of two modes with different frequencies, if you assume the mass and stiffness matrices are symmetric. (None of those assumptions are necessary, but the proof without them is much harder).

For the two modes we have ##Mx_i + \omega_i^2Kx_i = 0## and ##Mx_j + \omega_j^2Kx_j = 0##.

Multiply the first equation by ##x_j^T## and the second by ##x_i^T##:
##x_j^TMx_i + \omega_i^2x_j^TKx_i = 0## and ##x_i^TMx_j + \omega_j^2x_i^TKx_j = 0##.
If M and K are symmetric, ## x_j^TMx_i = x_i^TMx_j ## and ## x_j^TKx_i = x_i^TKx_j ##.
So by subtracting the two equations we get ##(\omega_i^2 - \omega_j^2)x_i^TKx_j =0##.

If the two frequencies are different, this means that ##x_i^TKx_j = 0##, and back substituting, ##x_i^TMx_j = 0##.

Hello,

The concept of normal modes refers to the different ways in which a system can vibrate or oscillate. Each normal mode has a specific frequency and amplitude, and the system as a whole is a combination of these modes.

The energy of a system is a measure of its ability to do work. In a system with multiple normal modes, the total energy is the sum of the energy associated with each individual mode. This is because each mode contributes to the overall energy of the system.

To understand why this is the case, we can look at the energy equation for a simple harmonic oscillator, which is a common example of a normal mode. The energy of a simple harmonic oscillator is proportional to the square of its amplitude, which is a measure of how far it oscillates from its equilibrium position. Since a system with multiple modes is a combination of these oscillations, the total energy is the sum of the energies of each individual mode.

In other words, the energy of a system is distributed among its normal modes. Therefore, the total energy of the system is equal to the sum of the energies of its modes.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between normal modes and the energy of a system. If you would like further explanation or evidence, I suggest consulting additional sources or conducting your own experiments. Thank you for your question.

Related to Normal modes and system's energy

What are normal modes?

Normal modes refer to the different ways in which a system can vibrate or move. Each mode has a specific frequency and energy associated with it.

How do normal modes relate to a system's energy?

Normal modes are directly related to a system's energy. The more modes a system has, the more energy it can store. Additionally, the energy of a system is evenly distributed among its normal modes.

What is the significance of normal modes in physics?

Normal modes are important in many areas of physics, including mechanics, acoustics, and optics. They allow us to understand the behavior of complex systems and analyze their energy distribution.

How are normal modes calculated and analyzed?

The calculation and analysis of normal modes involve solving differential equations that describe the behavior of the system. This can be done using mathematical methods such as Fourier analysis or numerical methods such as finite element analysis.

Can normal modes be observed in real-life systems?

Yes, normal modes can be observed in many real-life systems, including musical instruments, buildings, and molecules. In fact, the study of normal modes has practical applications in fields such as engineering and chemistry.