Nonlinear measurements - HUP violation or not?

In summary, nonlinear measurements have been a topic of debate in relation to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP). While some studies suggest a violation of the HUP in certain nonlinear systems, other research has concluded that the principle still holds true. Further exploration and analysis are needed to fully understand the role of nonlinear measurements in relation to the HUP.
espen180
According to this article, researchers have obtained measurements with an accuracy larger than the upper bound set by HUP.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/45535

a group [...] predicted that the Heisenberg limit could be beaten by introducing nonlinear interactions between the measuring particles. That prediction has now been shown to be true, thanks to an experiment ...

My first thought is that this is not a violation, since we are talking about a finite number of measurements, but then again, I have never heard the term "nonlinear measurement" before.

Any comments are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about it, but my reaction is that the Heisenberg limit might not be the same as HUP.

The original paper that the article refers to can be found http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v98/i9/e090401" )

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Nonlinear measurements - HUP violation or not?

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP)?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics which states that the more precisely one measures the position of a particle, the less precisely one can measure its momentum, and vice versa. This principle is a consequence of the wave-particle duality of quantum systems.

2. How is the HUP related to nonlinear measurements?

Nonlinear measurements are measurements that are not directly proportional to the quantity being measured. In the context of the HUP, nonlinear measurements can result in a violation of the principle, as the uncertainty in one variable may not be inversely proportional to the uncertainty in the other variable.

3. How can we determine if a measurement violates the HUP?

To determine if a measurement violates the HUP, we must compare the uncertainties in the measured variables. If the uncertainty in one variable is significantly lower than the uncertainty in the other variable, it can be considered a violation of the principle.

4. Are there any practical applications of the HUP violation?

While the HUP violation may seem counterintuitive and even problematic in some cases, it has actually been used in various technologies such as quantum cryptography and quantum computing. These technologies rely on the principles of quantum mechanics, including the HUP, to achieve their functionality.

5. Is the HUP violation a confirmed phenomenon?

The HUP violation has been observed in various experiments, confirming its existence. However, as with all principles in quantum mechanics, it is still a topic of ongoing research and debate. Further experimentation and theoretical advancements are needed to fully understand the implications and limitations of the HUP violation.