Non-industrial controls engineering

In summary: There are languages that are used for embedded systems development and they vary depending on the hardware being used. A few languages that are used a lot for embedded systems development are C, C++, Java, and Python.As for potential markets for embedded systems, any device that has a computing system, that isn't a x86 machine (aka a PC) requires those embedded systems skills. They are in everything from missiles toasters.
tomizzo
Hello PF,

I am currently an undergrad student who is pursuing a degree in electrical engineering with an emphasis on controls. I have 2 years worth of experience within industrial controls while working for a machinery OEM but I would like to see what else it out there.

I am curious about embedded control systems and the necessary skills required. Working with industrial controls, a lot of the programming was done within PLCs which is not the case for embedded systems. What are the common programming languages that I should become familiar with if I were to be working on embedded system (C, C++, Assembly, etc.)?

Furthermore, is there anyone in PF who could shine some light on potential markets looking for embedded systems control engineers (automotive, aeronautic, defense contractors, etc.)?

I would appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Controls are one of those things that can be applied to almost everything from Rocketry to waste-water treatment. Some things have to be very fast, but most of them are relatively slow and ponderous. For example, even aircraft autopilots have reaction times measured in major fractions of a second.

Some processes have reaction times measured in fractions of an hour. However, with all the money and the critical nature of the process, they need to give precise controls.

As for languages, C is common. However, there are variants and recommendations against certain practices in the language. Look up MISRA C for an example from the automotive side of things.

Very little is done in assembly language unless speed is really critical.

Another common platform is know as IEC 61131. It is an IDE and development environment commonly used by many Programmable Logic Controllers.

Last, please take the time to study the fundamentals of cryptography so that you can set up a decent embedded security system. This is something I've been working on for a long time and it is only just starting to get some traction.

Naturally, because this is my profession, I could rant and rave about this at length. If you have specific questions, message me privately.

Likes ramzerimar
In addition to what jake said, I would recommend learning vhdl or verilog as well. The embedded control world is slowly moving to FPGAs, at least in the aerospace and defense industries.

As for potential markets for embedded systems, any device that has a computing system, that isn't a x86 machine (aka a PC) requires those embedded systems skills. They are in everything from missiles to toasters.

tomizzo said:
Hello PF,

I am currently an undergrad student who is pursuing a degree in electrical engineering with an emphasis on controls. I have 2 years worth of experience within industrial controls while working for a machinery OEM but I would like to see what else it out there.

I am curious about embedded control systems and the necessary skills required. Working with industrial controls, a lot of the programming was done within PLCs which is not the case for embedded systems. What are the common programming languages that I should become familiar with if I were to be working on embedded system (C, C++, Assembly, etc.)?

Furthermore, is there anyone in PF who could shine some light on potential markets looking for embedded systems control engineers (automotive, aeronautic, defense contractors, etc.)?

I would appreciate any help!

The control class i took in undergrad vs control systems i deal with on a day to day basis are nothing a like. Controls Engineering can mean different things depending on the industry. From my perspective it's SCADA,SCADA,SCADA. So PLCs,RTUS,relays etc... devices integrated and communicating to an operator through a SCADA. The programing aspect is relevant only to hardware you want to integrate so questions that may arise are. Is it analog data? is it digital data? is it a counter or a control? So being a great programer serves no purpose if you don't know the theory of the data your wanting to push. It's also great to know industry standard equipment and protocols.

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you are interested in exploring different areas within controls engineering. Non-industrial controls engineering is a broad field that encompasses a range of applications, from consumer electronics to medical devices to automotive and aerospace systems.

In terms of programming languages, C and C++ are commonly used in embedded systems, as they offer low-level control and efficient use of system resources. Assembly language is also used for some applications, but it is more specialized and not as widely used. It would be beneficial for you to have a good understanding of all three languages, as well as experience with real-time operating systems.

As for potential markets, there is a growing demand for embedded systems in the automotive, aerospace, and defense industries. These industries require highly reliable and efficient control systems for their vehicles and equipment, making them ideal markets for embedded control engineers. Additionally, the Internet of Things (IoT) is also creating opportunities for embedded systems in various industries.

I would suggest networking with professionals in these industries and exploring internship or job opportunities to gain hands-on experience in the field. It would also be beneficial to stay updated on the latest developments and technologies in the embedded systems market.

Overall, embedded control systems offer a diverse and exciting career path for engineers with a strong background in controls. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Related to Non-industrial controls engineering

What is non-industrial controls engineering?

Non-industrial controls engineering is the application of control systems in non-industrial settings, such as in transportation, healthcare, and building automation. It involves designing, implementing, and maintaining control systems to regulate and manage various processes and systems.

What are the key differences between industrial and non-industrial controls engineering?

The main difference is in the type of systems and processes that are controlled. Industrial controls engineering focuses on manufacturing and production processes, while non-industrial controls engineering deals with a wider range of systems, such as traffic lights, elevators, and heating and cooling systems.

What skills are required for a career in non-industrial controls engineering?

A strong foundation in mathematics and physics is essential, as well as knowledge of control systems theory and programming languages. Problem-solving and critical thinking skills are also important in this field.

What are some real-world applications of non-industrial controls engineering?

Non-industrial controls engineering is used in a variety of industries and sectors, including transportation (e.g. traffic control systems), healthcare (e.g. medical equipment and devices), and building automation (e.g. HVAC systems). It is also used in consumer products, such as home appliances and smart devices.

What are some challenges in non-industrial controls engineering?

One of the main challenges is the diversity of systems and processes that may require control. This requires engineers to have a broad knowledge base and the ability to adapt to different technologies. Another challenge is ensuring the safety and reliability of control systems to prevent accidents and malfunctions.