New directions in Background Independent Quantum Gravity

In summary, Marcus, the article discusses new directions in Background Independent Quantum Gravity, focusing on the effective coherent degrees of freedom. Fotini Markopoulou is a key figure at Perimeter Institute and people will surely listen to her. However, just at the moment the game in B.I. QG is (IMHO as bystander) a free-for-all in which only the new RESULTS are influential, and people are not intrinsically influential. This is an abnormal temporary situation as I see it. As a social system, there does not appear to be any clear ranking by who is influential. Finally, Fotini deserves to have influence and to guide people's vision, but I don't see how she can swim
jal
Marcus! Your find...
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0703097
Fotini Markopoulou
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
Summary and Conclusions
One can start with a pre-geometric theory and look for the effective coherent degrees of freedom
along the lines described. Spacetime is to be inferred by them internally, namely, using only operations that are accessible to parts of the system. This is very promising for three reasons:
1) The emphasis on the effective coherent degrees of freedom addresses directly and in fact uses the dynamics. The dynamics is physically essential but almost impossible to deal with in other approaches.
2) A truly effective spacetime has novel phenomenological implications not tied to the Planck scale which can be tested and rejected if wrong.
3) A pre-spacetime background independent quantum theory of gravity takes us away from the concept of a quantum superposition of spacetimes which can be easily written down formally but has been impossible to make sense of physically in any approach other than Causal Dynamical Triangulations.
Good stuff.
How influential is Fotini Markopoulou?
Is anybody going to listen?
jal

Physics news on Phys.org
jal said:
Marcus! Your find...
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0703097
Fotini Markopoulou
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics

Good stuff.
How influential is Fotini Markopoulou?
Is anybody going to listen?
jal

She is a key figure at Perimeter Institute. People will surely listen!
But just at the moment the game in B.I. QG is (IMHO as bystander) a free-for-all in which only the new RESULTS are influential, and people are not intrinsically influential. This is an abnormal temporary situation as I see it.
As a social system, there does not appear to be any clear ranking by who is influential.

To me, just to take an example, Ashtekar is very influential right now because his cosmology group is improving the quantum cosmology models and running computer simulations of various universes where quantum stuff replaces the big bang singularity. People want to have singularities resolved these days and Ashtekar team is delivering the goods. This is progressing rapidly and is what makes him influential. Thomas Thiemann is influential partly because his form of AQG fits together with Ashtekar and Bojowald LQC (as the 'full theory' supporting it).

Admittedly even without his new results Ashtekar is one of the senior people, enormously respected, and administratively powerful, but without the stream of results 2005-2007 he would not be so influential (IMO as humble observer)

I see a many-sided shifting free-for-all with no settled social hierarchy---perhaps in string-land there is more a settled hierarchy---I think I saw this in the Toronto 2005 video of "Strings '05" panel discussion---who was speaking authoritatively and being listened to and who not so much.

Markopoulou is brilliant original insightful and, I would like to say influential too but now I think in the rough-and-tumble who is turning out to be influential (besides Ashtekar/Bojowald Penn group) is actually what I would call the "French" team.

Alejandro Perez and Winston Fairbairn (Marseille)
Etera Livine (Lyon)
Laurent Freidel (Lyon and Perimeter)

I think people want that 4D spinfoam gravity-with-matter (or 4D BF gravity-with-matter) should develop into a theory of stringlike objects in 4D or 5D. It will not at all be usual "superstrings"---it may SOUND like stringery but it will not actually be that. It won't be stuff VIBRATING IN SOME KIND OF PRE-ARRANGED extra-dimensioned TARGET SPACE, it will be a background independent theory with no prearranged geometry but it will have ONE DIMENSIONAL OBJECTS plus their worldsheets and basically everything happening in 4D.

De Sitter space will be important, and DSR, in this picture. It is already turning out so.

Baez helped set up this collision of spinfoam with 4D stringlike stuff when he wrote this paper with Alejandro Perez last year.

Everybody wants this kind of collision to happen because it will make everybody's brain explode and they will think extra well for a few years.

Fotini deserves to have influence and to guide people's vision but I don't see how she can swim against this tide.

Maybe since I really am not knowledgeable I should have declined to answer your question but the atmosphere here encourages taking chances a bit and if I had to answer that would be my guess.:smile:

Last edited:
LOL...
Taking chances is what makes progress... besides... I don't have anything to lose... THEY on the other hand have everything to gain.
We are using "play money" hehehe
jal

I am glad you liked the Fotini article. I thought it was exceptionally thoughtful and well-written. In part, it gives a clear survey of different B.I. approaches to quantum gravity-and-matter and the problems they encounter---which is worthwhile reading for overview even if one doesn't want to get into details of some of the sections.

Now I think Dan Oriti has all the chapters of his book! and Cambridge Press can go ahead and publish. I hope so! the Rafael Sorkin chapter is there too now.

Last edited:

Related to New directions in Background Independent Quantum Gravity

1. What is Background Independent Quantum Gravity (BIQG)?

Background Independent Quantum Gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to reconcile the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that the gravitational field is a fundamental aspect of the fabric of spacetime rather than a background structure.

2. How does BIQG differ from traditional approaches to quantum gravity?

Unlike traditional approaches to quantum gravity, which assume a fixed background structure, BIQG does not rely on a pre-existing spacetime metric. Instead, it seeks to describe the dynamics of spacetime itself.

3. What challenges does BIQG face in its development?

One of the main challenges in developing BIQG is the lack of experimental evidence to guide its construction. Additionally, the mathematical complexity of the theory and the need for a consistent framework that incorporates both general relativity and quantum mechanics are also significant hurdles.

4. What are some potential applications of BIQG?

BIQG has the potential to provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe, including phenomena such as the nature of black holes and the origin of the universe. It may also have practical applications in areas such as cosmology, astrophysics, and high-energy physics.

5. Is there ongoing research in the field of BIQG?

Yes, there is a significant amount of ongoing research in BIQG, with scientists working to develop new mathematical frameworks and models that can better describe the dynamics of spacetime. Additionally, experiments such as the LIGO gravitational wave detectors are providing new insights into the behavior of spacetime that can inform the development of BIQG.