Need to teach solar system models. Software? Online videos?

In summary, the speaker is a high school physics teacher who is incorporating more history into their course, specifically focusing on the various models of the solar system throughout history. They are looking for resources, such as videos or animations, to help illustrate these models. Suggestions include vpython.org, NASA's website, and educational videos on YouTube or Khan Academy. The speaker also expresses interest in incorporating Indian, Egyptian, or Babylonian cosmologies into the lesson.
Robert100
I am a high school physics teacher, and this year I am incorporating more history into the course, from the first class onwards. Among the topics I wish to cover are the various models of the solar system (which in early days were also models of the entire known universe.)

I am looking to persent graphic illustrations, preferably with motion, of the various solar system models of:

* Plato and Eudoxus - set of spheres proposed as a mathematical tool (not clear if they really believed that such physical spheres existed.) Could qualitatively account for planetary retrograde motion.

* Aristotle - really believed that these spheres physically existed. He even invented a set of counter-moving spheres between the ones that Plato came upw ith.

* Ptolemy

* Nicolaus Copernicus - Earth centered, circular orbits

* Tycho Brahe (Earth centered, yet other planets orbit the Sun

* Kepler - Sun centered - orbits are finally recognized to be ellipse!

* Other classical and later models. Perhaps Indian, Egyptian or Babylonian cosmologies?

* Modern solar system

Although I can easily find static graphics for these models individually, it has been hard to find video or software that compares some or all of these systems. Can anyone suggest PC software, PowerPoint presentations with motion, or websites with video or animations?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Robert

Science news on Phys.org
: That sounds like a really interesting approach to teaching physics! I think incorporating history into the course will help students better understand the development of scientific theories and how they have evolved over time. As for resources, have you checked out the NASA website? They have a lot of interactive simulations and animations that could be helpful in illustrating the different solar system models. You could also try searching for educational videos on YouTube or Khan Academy. Good luck with your lesson plans!

Related to Need to teach solar system models. Software? Online videos?

1. How do solar system models help in teaching?

Solar system models provide a visual representation of the planets, moons, and other celestial bodies in our solar system. They help students understand the relative sizes, distances, and positions of these objects, as well as their orbits and rotations.

2. What are the advantages of using software for teaching solar system models?

Software allows for interactive and dynamic models, where students can manipulate and explore different aspects of the solar system. It also allows for the incorporation of accurate data and real-time simulations, making the learning experience more engaging and informative.

3. Are there any free software options available for teaching solar system models?

Yes, there are several free software programs available, such as NASA's Solar System Exploration and Celestia. These programs offer a wide range of features and customization options for teaching solar system models.

4. How can online videos be incorporated into teaching solar system models?

Online videos can be used to supplement lessons on solar system models by providing visual demonstrations and explanations. They can also be used as a review or reinforcement tool for students to revisit and solidify their understanding of the concepts.

5. Can students create their own solar system models using software?

Yes, many software programs have features that allow students to create their own solar system models. This can be a fun and creative way for students to apply their knowledge and demonstrate their understanding of the concepts learned.