Need input on junior/senior course plans

In summary, the speaker is in their last semester of community college and planning to transfer to UIUC in the fall to pursue a dual bachelor's degree in physics and math. They have carefully planned out their courses for their junior and senior years, including required courses for their physics degree and electives such as subatomic physics, complex variables, and numerical analysis. They are also considering adding a course in optics and obtaining a position in an experimental particle physics lab to gain practical programming experience.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
Hey everyone. I'm in my last semester of community college, and I'm getting ready to transfer to UIUC in the fall. I'm looking ahead to my courses for junior and senior years, and I'm wondering if what I've come up with is a reasonable goal.

I'm planning on doing a dual bachelor's in physics and math, and I will be transferring in as a junior. It's going to take 5 semesters after transferring to finish. I intend to go to grad school for physics; most likely something in the area of particle physics.

Fall 2015 -

PHYS 225 - Relativity and Math Applications (covers Special Relativity and mathematical methods in physics)
PHYS 325 - Classical Mechanics I
MATH 347 - Fundamental Mathematics (basically an intro to proof writing and upper level math)
MATH 416 - Abstract Linear Algebra
CS 101 - Intro Computing for Engineering and Science

Spring 2016 -

PHYS 326 - Classical Mechanics II
PHYS 435 - Electromagnetic Fields I
PHYS 401 - Classical Physics Lab
MATH 441 - Differential Equations
MATH 357 - Numerical Methods I (hybrid math/computer science course)

Summer 2016 -

MATH 461 - Probability Theory
PHIL 110 - World Religions

Fall 2016 -

PHYS 436 - Electromagnetic Fields II
PHYS 486 - Quantum Physics I
PHYS 419 - Space, Time, and Matter - ACP
MATH 442 - Introduction to Partial Differential Equations

Spring 2017 -

PHYS 427 - Thermal and Statistical Physics
PHYS 470 - Subatomic Physics
MATH 444 - Elementary Real Analysis
MATH 417 - Intro to Abstract Algebra I

Fall 2017 -

PHYS 487 - Quantum Physics II
PHYS 403 - Modern Experimental Physics
MATH 423 - Differential Geometry
MATH 448 - Complex VariablesThis covers the full physics curriculum, plus an elective (subatomic physics). The double bachelor's requires me to have 30 distinct credits for the second degree (math being the second degree), which is the number of credits listed for math courses here. A lower level Diff EQ course and an applied linear algebra course (as opposed to abstract linear algebra) are required for my physics degree. The higher level courses will cover the physics requirement, but I'm not sure if the credits for those two courses will count toward both degrees. In the event that they don't count toward it, I was thinking about adding these in Fall 2016 and Spring 2017:

MATH 450 - Numerical Analysis (hybrid math/computer science course)
MATH 432 - Set Theory and Topology

Even if I don't have to add two additional courses to get my 30 math credits, I may want to add these two simply because I'd like to take them. That's up in the air at this point though.

Does anyone have any input on my course selections? Does this look like a reasonable schedule? Are there any essential courses that I'm missing?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks pretty good! I don't see any optics courses though, but I seem to remember hearing once that in the US they tend to not be offered as undergrad courses?

Also, it really depends on the kind of physics you want to do, but I regret not doing group theory or complex analysis in my physics degree.

Likes Niflheim
e.bar.goum said:
Looks pretty good! I don't see any optics courses though, but I seem to remember hearing once that in the US they tend to not be offered as undergrad courses?

Also, it really depends on the kind of physics you want to do, but I regret not doing group theory or complex analysis in my physics degree.

This.

Odds are you'll be an experimental particle physicist if you become a physicist at all, so more programming, especially C++, is probably better.

I'm actually covering a little bit of optics this semester (I'm in Physics III), but that's obviously at a much more introductory level. An upper level course in optics isn't typically a required course for a physics major in the US, although it is typically offered as an elective.

I'm taking a complex analysis course. It's called 'complex variables' instead, but covers the same topics. As I learn more about how the field of physics research actually works, I'm quickly realizing how important programming is going to be. I'm probably going to try to squeeze at least the Numerical Analysis course in. Although I'm wondering if there are other courses that I should really try to do that don't necessarily involve numerical computations as the main theme.

A handy strategy may be to try to get a position in an experimental particle physics lab, as you'll definitely learn how to program and it's probably the only way you can get real world experience with particle physics as an undergraduate.

I'm actually doing a Department of Energy internship at Fermilab this summer in Accelerator Engineering and Technology, so hopefully I get a bit of experience with programming there.

Related to Need input on junior/senior course plans

What is the purpose of junior/senior course planning?

The purpose of junior/senior course planning is to help students stay on track with their academic goals and ensure that they are taking courses that align with their interests and career aspirations.

What factors should be considered when planning junior/senior courses?

Some factors to consider when planning junior/senior courses include major requirements, graduation requirements, course availability, and personal interests and goals.

How can I get input on my junior/senior course plans?

You can get input on your junior/senior course plans by speaking with your academic advisor, career counselor, professors, and fellow students. It can also be helpful to research and read reviews about the courses you are considering.

What should I do if I am unsure about which courses to take?

If you are unsure about which courses to take, it is recommended to speak with your academic advisor or career counselor. They can provide guidance and help you make informed decisions based on your academic and career goals.

Why is it important to plan junior/senior courses in advance?

Planning junior/senior courses in advance is important because it allows you to have a clear understanding of the courses you need to take to complete your degree and helps you avoid any last-minute scheduling conflicts. It also gives you time to make changes or adjustments if needed.