Need ideas for final semester project

In summary, a cordless drill can be used as a motor and battery system for a grass trimmer. The drill must be altered to remove the gearing and the battery and charger must be paired to the motor. The drill can be fairly cheap and has a 0-400/0-1400 RPM speed.
snaz_86
Its me again.
I need recommendations for a motor and power supply to make a cordless grass trimer that uses battery..anyone?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you want to do with grass trimer? Are you looking for specific power outputs, effeciency, materials in construction, etc?

I'd start by reverse-engineering an electric grass trimmer and seeing what kind of motor/how much power it uses. Then I'd look into existing cordless power tools and see if their capabilities come close to what you are looking for.

Ok i have problems finding what components and parts...Can anyone give me an exact motor and battery specification for a cordless grass trimmer?
:cool:

A grass trimmer is a pretty simple device. You just need a battery connected to a fast spinning motor. The motor head has a piece of plastic string (I don't know the official name) that spins very fast and trims the grass. To keep it simple, you might want to use a deep cycle lead acid battery hooked up to a motor which accepts 12 volt input. Charging the lead acid is very simple, you can get a specialty charger, or build your own 13.8 volt power supply

It can't just be a fast-spinning motor; you have to have some serious torque behind it as well. Otherwise, it will just stall out. If you have to make it from some other appliance/tool, I'd recommend a router.

I imagine that a cordless drill would work for a motor and battery system. The drill would have to be altered to remove the gearing, but it would probably have a rheostat to allow variable speed and the battery and charger already paired to the motor.

They are fairly cheap now also, only about $20.00.

Here is a site showing a reverse engineered corded drill, you can see the gearing:

http://www.bergen.org/AAST/projects/Engineering_Graphics/Drill/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the specs for a Black and Decker Cordless grass trimmer:

Specifications: Voltage 12 V. Revolutions/Min 6800 rpm. Cutting Path 12". Line Diameter .065". Weight 10.3 lbs. Feed System AFS.

And here are the specs for a cordless drill:

SPECIFICATIONS Voltage 12 DC Chuck Size 3/8 in. No Load Speed 0-400/0-1400 RPM Torque 280 in.-lbs.

The drill speed is after the gearing, so I imagine much higher rpms could be achieved without the gears, not sure what the ratios are.

Related to Need ideas for final semester project

1. What are some tips for coming up with ideas for my final semester project?

Some tips for coming up with ideas for your final semester project include brainstorming with classmates or professors, researching current trends in your field of study, and thinking about real-world problems that you could potentially solve with your project.

2. How can I make sure my final semester project is unique and innovative?

To ensure that your final semester project is unique and innovative, try to think outside the box and come up with a new approach or solution to a problem. It can also be helpful to do a literature review to see what has already been done in your field and identify any gaps that your project could fill.

3. What are some resources I can use to help me with my final semester project?

Some resources that can be helpful for your final semester project include academic journals, books, online databases, and relevant websites. You can also consult with professors, librarians, and other experts in your field for guidance and support.

4. How can I stay organized and on track while working on my final semester project?

To stay organized and on track with your final semester project, it can be helpful to create a timeline or schedule with specific deadlines for each stage of your project. You can also break your project into smaller, manageable tasks and prioritize them to ensure that you are making progress.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to come up with a final semester project idea?

If you are having trouble coming up with an idea for your final semester project, don't panic. Take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also consult with your professors or classmates for suggestions or consider choosing a project from a list of pre-approved topics provided by your department.