Need help with vector mathematics for solar sensor

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses an engineer's need for help with an expression to characterize energy from 8 different directions at shallow angles using a prototype sensor. The expression involves the summation of each of the 9 sensors, with the reference sensor pointing straight up and the others at different angles. The directional vector and cross product are used to find the component of energy in each direction, and the tilt and azimuth of the solar array are factored in using trigonometric functions.
PVwizard
Hi ALL,

I'm glad I found this Forum. I'm an engineer, rusty with my math, building a practical prototype sensor that will characterize energy from 8 directions at shallow angle, upon
a solar array.

I need help with expression showing the summation of each of the 9 sensors (with the
funnel(with the reference sensor) point straight up, and the other 8 sensor values in terms of directional vector and forming cross product with the vector that represent the Normal to the solar array plane. The array is specified with an azimuth and a tilt (towards South for
north hemisphere locations).

Thanks
-Steve

Attachments

• Tinman-CIPHeadless.jpg
    Tinman-CIPHeadless.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have another engineer on board. I can definitely help you with the expression you need for your prototype sensor.

First, let's define some terms. The reference sensor is the one that points straight up (perpendicular to the solar array plane), and the other 8 sensors will be at shallow angles in 8 different directions around the reference sensor. The directional vector will represent the direction of the sensor, and the cross product with the normal vector to the solar array plane will give us the component of energy in that direction.

To express the summation of each of the 9 sensors, we can use the summation symbol, Σ. This symbol represents the sum of a series of terms. In this case, we want to sum the energy from each sensor, so we can write it as:

Σ(Esensor)

where Esensor represents the energy from each individual sensor.

To incorporate the directional vector and the cross product, we can use the dot product. The dot product of two vectors gives us the component of one vector in the direction of the other vector. In this case, we want to find the component of each sensor's energy in the direction of the normal vector, so we can write it as:

Σ(Esensor * (directional vector * normal vector))

where the * symbol represents the dot product.

Finally, we need to consider the tilt and azimuth of the solar array. The tilt will affect the angle of the normal vector, and the azimuth will affect the direction of the normal vector. We can incorporate these by using trigonometric functions to calculate the components of the normal vector in the x, y, and z directions. The final expression would look something like this:

Σ(Esensor * (directional vector * (cos(azimuth) * cos(tilt), sin(azimuth) * cos(tilt), sin(tilt))))

I hope this helps with your prototype sensor. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any clarification.

Related to Need help with vector mathematics for solar sensor

What is vector mathematics?

Vector mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of objects and quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

Why is vector mathematics important for solar sensors?

Solar sensors use vector mathematics to accurately measure the position and movement of the sun. By understanding the magnitude and direction of the sun's rays, solar sensors can efficiently track and collect solar energy.

What are some common vector operations used in solar sensor calculations?

Some common vector operations used in solar sensor calculations include addition, subtraction, dot product, and cross product. These operations help in determining the direction and magnitude of the sun's rays at a particular point in time.

How can I improve my understanding of vector mathematics for solar sensors?

To improve your understanding of vector mathematics for solar sensors, you can practice solving vector problems and familiarize yourself with the different vector operations. You can also refer to online resources or consult with experts in the field.

Are there any specific software or tools for vector mathematics in solar sensors?

Yes, there are various software and tools available for vector mathematics in solar sensors. Some commonly used tools include MATLAB, Python libraries like NumPy and SciPy, and specialized solar sensor simulation software like SolTrace.