Need Help With Quadrilateral Calculations: LN and KM Angles

In summary, the conversation discusses a quadrilateral with vertices K(-2, 7), L(8, 7), M(14, -1), N(4, -1) and the calculation of the angles that the lines LN and KM make with the x-axis. The first angle is calculated correctly using the inverse tangent, but the second angle gives a negative value, which can be solved by subtracting it from 180. The importance of paying attention to the question and its wording is also mentioned.
sunny304
Hey guys, not touched any mathematics in almost 5 years and I am just getting back into it, been going well so far but hit a hurdle with this, I presume its some gaps in my knowledge.

So been at this for about an hour, got the first one, no clue on the second, can anyone offer assistance?K(-2, 7), L(8, 7), M(14, -1), N(4, -1) are the vertices of a quadrilateral.

Calculate the angle that the lines LN and KM make with the x-axis.

For LN I worked out the gradient/slope of the line and used the inverse of tan to come to the solution 63.4 which seems to be correct. However with KM employing the same method doesn't produce the correct result.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
sunny304 said:
Hey guys, not touched any mathematics in almost 5 years and I am just getting back into it, been going well so far but hit a hurdle with this, I presume its some gaps in my knowledge.

So been at this for about an hour, got the first one, no clue on the second, can anyone offer assistance?

K(-2, 7), L(8, 7), M(14, -1), N(4, -1) are the vertices of a quadrilateral.

Calculate the angle that the lines LN and KM make with the x-axis.

For LN I worked out the gradient/slope of the line and used the inverse of tan to come to the solution 63.4 which seems to be correct. However with KM employing the same method doesn't produce the correct result.

Thanks for any help.

For KM, the slope is just negative, right? That will give you a negative theta when you use the tan^-1 function. What value did you get?

Ah its just clicked, the x-axis can't be more than 180 degrees, so when I get the negative theta, I just subtract from 180 to get the angle. So Simple.

Thank you

sunny304 said:
Ah its just clicked, the x-axis can't be more than 180 degrees, so when I get the negative theta, I just subtract from 180 to get the angle. So Simple.

Thank you

Yes, but be careful to look at what the problem question is -- it can vary depending on the question. Sometimes they will want the negative angle as the answer. Other times they will want you to subtract the angle from 180. Just depends on how the question is worded.

Related to Need Help With Quadrilateral Calculations: LN and KM Angles

1. What is a quadrilateral?

A quadrilateral is a polygon with four sides and four angles. It can also be referred to as a four-sided figure or a four-gon.

2. How do you calculate the angles of a quadrilateral?

To calculate the angles of a quadrilateral, add up all four angles and set the sum equal to 360 degrees. Then, solve for the unknown angles using basic algebraic equations.

3. What is the relationship between LN and KM angles in a quadrilateral?

In a quadrilateral, the sum of the opposite angles is equal to 180 degrees. Therefore, the angles formed by the intersection of LN and KM must add up to 180 degrees.

4. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the angles in a quadrilateral?

No, the Pythagorean theorem is only applicable to right triangles. In a quadrilateral, it is necessary to use the property that the sum of all angles is 360 degrees to solve for the unknown angles.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating angles in a quadrilateral?

Yes, there are several methods for calculating angles in a quadrilateral, including using the properties of parallel lines and transversals, using the properties of special quadrilaterals such as squares or rectangles, and using trigonometric functions in certain cases.