Need help with electromagnetism problems?

In summary, the conversation was about a student seeking help with their Independent Study Unit (ISU) on electromagnetism. They discussed several problems, including one involving an equilateral triangle with charges at each corner, calculating forces between the charges, and determining the net force on each charge. They also discussed the concept of batteries in a series circuit and the number of electrons leaving each battery. Additionally, they talked about the force between parallel current-carrying wires and the mass of 100mC of electrons. The student expressed difficulty understanding the concepts and receiving help from their teacher.
Poobel
OK first off I'd like to thank Warr for helping me with one problem
again thanks a lot

Okay now to business I have an ISU (Independent Study Unit) due this thursday and I'm pretty much all done, but it would be great if you guys could just look over it for any mistakes and or advices. ISU is 6 quetions, one I already posted so here we go:

1.A charge of 2.730 C is placed at each corner of an equiolateral triangle 1.520 m on a side. Direction of force and magnitude on each charge?

Solution: ok in all cases the magnitude of the force will be the same - because its an equiolateral triangle. to find it I used

F=k x q1q2/r^2= 9.00x10^9 x 7.453^2/2.310^2=2.89x10^10 I got directions as well 2 for each charge -- compass ones -- N30W and NW, N30E and NE, and S30W and S30W

This one was easy

2.Two 1.5 V batteries are connected in series to a bulb with resistance of 10 Ohm . How many electrons leave each battery per minute?

R=V/I 10=3V/I I=o.3A
Q=It Q=0.3A x 60s=18C
Q=Ne N=Q/e=18C / 1.6x10^-19 = 1.125x10^20 -- for 2 batteries

But here is where I get lost/confused -- if the batteries are in series then say 2 electrons leave first battery, go into second one and then second has it's own 2 electrons leaving plus 2 that came into it, right or wrong?

4. A transformer has 78 turns in primary and 158 in secondary. What kind of transformer is this and if it is 100% efficient, by what factor does it change the current.

Okya this is obviously a step up transformer andits factor is Vs/Vp=Ns/Np Vs/Vp=158/78 Vs/Vp=2.03

So by the factor of 2

5. This is the one I'm having major trouble with -- Over long distances high-power transition lines split into four parallel cables. Given that these four cables are parallel and carry current in the same direction, do they repel ir attract one another? Explain your reasoning clearly.

Okay this is the scoop -- my textbook just says that 2 parallel wire with current in same direction attract. They just do. Thats what book says. I think that they would actually repel but I really can't explain so any sort of help on this bugger will be much appreciated.

6. What's the mass of 100mC of electrons ( m being the symbol for micro)

100x10^-6C= 10^-4C

1C=6.24x10^18e
10^-4C= 6.24x10^15e

total mass= (6.24x10^15e) x mass of 1 e
= (6.24x10^15e) x (9.11x10^-31 kg)
= 5.68x10^-15 kg

Okay so that was it and please please please can you look into it and pooint out mistakes. I would've done this earlier but I only came over the site yesterday.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Poobel
1. ...
F=k x q1q2/r^2= 9.00x10^9 x 7.453^2/2.310^2=2.89x10^10 I got directions as well 2 for each charge -- compass ones -- N30W and NW, N30E and NE, and S30W and S30W
You found the force between any two charges. What you need to find is the net force on each charge. Each charge is repelled by the other two: add up the force vectors from each charge to find the total force.
2. ... But here is where I get lost/confused -- if the batteries are in series then say 2 electrons leave first battery, go into second one and then second has it's own 2 electrons leaving plus 2 that came into it, right or wrong?
The current is the same at all points in a series circuit. So the same number of electrons flow through each battery.
5. ... Okay this is the scoop -- my textbook just says that 2 parallel wire with current in same direction attract. They just do. Thats what book says. I think that they would actually repel but I really can't explain so any sort of help on this bugger will be much appreciated.
Why do you have an opinion on this? The book is correct. To understand it, realize that each wire creates a magnetic field, which exerts a force on any nearby current carrying wire. Assuming you've covered magnetic forces, you should be able to find the direction of the force that the magnetic field exerts on the wire.
6. ...
1C=6.24x10^18e
10^-4C= 6.24x10^15e
Check the exponents.

Thanks for looking into it, Doc Al but i have a few quetions:

1. it's triangle so each charge is repelled by other two? if that's the case then How could I find the repelling force?

2. ok I guess, then that it's just a concept I'm having trouble understanding. Was I correct though? -- 1.125x10^20 ?

5. Me and my classmates brainstormed this one today -- this is roughly the answer -- current generates magnetic field which is same for all wires - say N on teh right and Son the left hence:
o - wires N- north S - south

N o S N o S N o S N o S

Hence wires would attract

6. I don't know what about the exponents -- it's either me or my calculator

PS. This unit -- electromagnetism -- was not taught in the class except for a few of general concepts that were reviewed ( the ones that re usually covered in grade 9 science)

These questions are a method of making sure that we read on the book and study the material required. As well the teacher doesn't really help us - since it's an ISU (Independent Study Unit) just you know gives us a hint here and there if he thinks that you won't get anywhere.

Me being top student (I'm not kidding or praising myself) it's really hard since teacher thinks that I have potential to do all these problems myself so I don't get any help at all.

Originally posted by Poobel

1. it's triangle so each charge is repelled by other two? if that's the case then How could I find the repelling force?
All the charges repel each other, right? (Like charges repel.) To find the force on any charge, add up the force due to each of the other charges. (You found the force between each pair already, now use it.) Remember that these forces are vectors. Draw a diagram. You should be able to guess (use symmetry) the direction of the net force. Components along that direction add up; components perpendicular to it cancel.
2. ok I guess, then that it's just a concept I'm having trouble understanding. Was I correct though? -- 1.125x10^20 ?
Looks good to me.
5. Me and my classmates brainstormed this one today -- this is roughly the answer -- current generates magnetic field which is same for all wires - say N on teh right and Son the left hence:
o - wires N- north S - south

N o S N o S N o S N o S

Hence wires would attract
Close enough.
6. I don't know what about the exponents -- it's either me or my calculator
Don't blame the calculator. You multiplied 10-4 by 1018 and got 1015. No excuses! :smile:

Allrighty I think I'm ready to hand the damn thing on thursday. If you want I'll tell you my mark

Other than that -- thanks a lot for your help guys

Related to Need help with electromagnetism problems?

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interaction between electrically charged particles and magnetic fields. It explains how electricity and magnetism are related and how they influence each other.

How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet is created by running an electric current through a coil of wire. This creates a magnetic field around the coil, which can attract or repel other magnetic materials. The strength of the electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the coil or by changing the number of coils in the wire.

What are some real-life applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has numerous practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include electric motors, generators, transformers, MRI machines, and wireless communication devices such as radios and cell phones.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current by moving a conductor through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field through a stationary conductor. This phenomenon is the basis for how generators and transformers work.

What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two different phenomena, but they are closely related. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations and is the basis for electromagnetism.