Need help picking out a multimeter

• Thread starter ImperialGuardWH40K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multimeter
In summary, a person is looking for recommendations on a specific digital multimeter for robotics building. They have found the EX430 multimeter and are asking for an opinion on its suitability for their needs. The discussion also includes advice on the importance of reliability, durability, and accuracy when choosing a multimeter, as well as the importance of labeling capacitors for size and polarity. A website with comprehensive information on robotics and tool selection is also recommended.
ImperialGuardWH40K
Hello,
I need to purchase a digital multimeter for robotics building. Any recommendations on a specific multimeter?

Thanks

EDIT:If you have no recommendations, take a look at the data sheet for the EX430 multimeter on this page:

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=631-0006&SEARCH=&ID=228401&DESC=EX430

This is the multimeter I am planning to buy, does it look good in your opinion? The datasheet lists the max capacitance range at 100uF, is this too little for robot building?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like an ok multimeter from the description, I like my Fluke but its far from being cheap. Its the $10 multimeters you really need to stay away from, their accuracy is questionable at best sometimes. So its more or less a question of reliability/durability and accuracy that affects the purchase, and it really helps to know the brand (or warranty policy of retailer/manufacturer).

100uF is still pretty small but it really depends on where in the circuit the cap is going. The caps should be labeled for size, especially since most that size or larger are going to be electrolytic and polarity sensitive!

Here is a fairly comprehensive site on robotics.. It even has a section on tools selection (including digital multimeter). Although he doesn't recommend any specific brands or models, this fellow seems to have some solid hands-on advice. Poke around the rest of that site and see what I mean.

Related to Need help picking out a multimeter

1. What is a multimeter and what is it used for?

A multimeter is an electronic device used to measure electrical properties such as voltage, current, and resistance. It is a versatile tool commonly used by electricians, engineers, and scientists for various electrical tasks, including troubleshooting and testing circuits.

2. What are the different types of multimeters available?

There are three main types of multimeters: analog, digital, and clamp. Analog multimeters use a needle to display measurements and are suitable for basic tasks. Digital multimeters have a digital display and provide more accurate readings. Clamp multimeters are used to measure current without interrupting the circuit.

3. How do I choose the right multimeter for my needs?

When choosing a multimeter, consider the features you need, such as measurement range, accuracy, and additional functions like diode testing and continuity. Also, consider the quality and durability of the multimeter, as well as your budget.

4. What are the safety precautions when using a multimeter?

Always read the user manual and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Use the appropriate input jacks and settings for the measurement you need. Make sure the multimeter is set to the correct range and is calibrated before use. Always wear proper protective gear, such as insulated gloves, when working with electricity.

5. Are there any additional accessories I need to purchase with a multimeter?

It is recommended to purchase test leads, which are the cables that connect the multimeter to the circuit being measured. You may also need to purchase additional probes or adapters for specific tasks. It is also a good idea to have spare batteries on hand for digital multimeters.