Need Help Finding Information for Article

In summary: Probably. However, I'm writing this article for laymen. Shoot, I'm not much more knowledgeable than they are.
Moloch11
Hi folks, it's been a long while since I've posted here, but, I need help.

I'm trying to write an article for the "Space News" board on another forum I'm a member on; about inter-galactic voids and supervoids. The problem is that I keep finding measurements for their size in both megaparsecs and light years. When I do the math to convert from megaparsecs, though, to keep it simpler for folks who have never heard of a megaparsec, I get conflicting results, especially when I check them against what I already have both measurements for.

Also, I'm getting measurements for some that vary wildly from one another. For example, I'm getting a diameter measurement of about one billion light years for the Eridanus supervoid, but other sources I have seen put its diameter at three and a half billion light years.

While this is not an academic article; I do care about the quality of my work and I also am trying to get folks interested in something worthwhile.

Any resources you folks can point me towards that will give me a definitive answer and can tell me the diameters of these structures in light years, instead of megaparsecs, would be appreciated.

Space news on Phys.org
Moloch11 said:
Also, I'm getting measurements for some that vary wildly from one another. For example, I'm getting a diameter measurement of about one billion light years for the Eridanus supervoid, but other sources I have seen put its diameter at three and a half billion light years.

Isn't an astronomer defined as someone who considers one billion light years to be the same as three billion light years, to within error bars?

bcrowell said:
Isn't an astronomer defined as someone who considers one billion light years to be the same as three billion light years, to within error bars?

Probably. However, I'm writing this article for laymen. Shoot, I'm not much more knowledgeable than they are.

Related to Need Help Finding Information for Article

1. What is the best way to start researching for an article?

The best way to start researching for an article is to first identify your topic and clearly define what information you are looking for. Then, you can use search engines, online databases, and academic journals to find relevant and credible sources.

2. How do I know if a source is reliable?

There are several ways to determine the reliability of a source. You can look at the author's credentials, the publication date, and whether the source has been peer-reviewed. Additionally, you can check for bias or any conflicts of interest.

3. Where can I find statistical data for my article?

You can find statistical data from various sources such as government websites, research institutes, and reputable organizations. Make sure to check the credibility and accuracy of the data before using it in your article.

4. How can I effectively organize and manage my research?

There are many tools available to help you organize and manage your research. Some popular options include using reference management software, creating an outline, or using a note-taking app. Choose the method that works best for you and allows you to keep track of your sources and ideas.

5. How do I properly cite my sources in my article?

Citing sources is an important part of any research article. Make sure to follow the appropriate citation style for your field, such as APA or MLA. You can also use citation generators or reference management software to help you correctly format your citations.